EH Big Muff - USA vs Sovtek

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dmaki, Oct 26, 2003.

1. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    I was wondering what the pro's and con's of each pedal are -- does the Russian version sound a lot different, does either have more noise than the other, built stronger, etc?
  2. wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    I've got both - I'd originally planned to sell the Russian one when I "upgraded", but the sounds are so noticably different that I decided to keep it.

The Russian one seems to retain more of the bottom end and sounds "fatter", but the US is "hotter"; more distortion for the same settings. I've been known to gig with both on my board - the Russian one to fatten up during guitar solos, the US one to let rip on the one song where they let me have a bass solo.

Build quality, the US probably has a slight edge, but the black Russian one I've got seems to be pretty sturdy. Better than the old green ones...

As with anything like this, it's subjective, so if you can arrange it, a/b them and see what you think.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    wingnutkj is definately right. Oddly, people know me as the king of muff around here, and it's because I love the pedal so much, but I only have one at the moment, an American. I had one of the new and one of the old Ruskies (old olive green case) and both were great pedals, seemed a bit harsher than the warmer USA Reissue. Depends totally on the sound you want, A/Bing is the way to go, but remember, each one sounds a bit different.
  4. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Ill try to do this without hijacking the thread. :D
    Is any of the two better at handling the lower end? Seems like that one would be the better choice, at least for me.