1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EH Hog & Pog

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by henryjurstin13, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Can someone do a Pros/Cons list of these 2 pedals? What will the POG do that the HOG can't? And does the HOG really offer that much more?

I know you can see a ton of information online about these, but I was hoping someone could break it down into more simpler terms.

thanks!

2. some people have said that the HOG wont do organ sounds but i think thats not true, its just not as easy to dial in because the HOG is way more complex. the HOG has several more octave options, a hold function that freezes the note youre playing and then lets that noise 'glide' to whatever you play subsequently. ive only heard the one clip of that on the HC forums but it sounded alright only but it wasnt a very creative clip. could sound amazing used in the right way. errmmm theres something about a filter that the HOG has as well...cant remember about that. basically if youre after them for the octaves just look up what switches each have, the HOG has several more plus those extra gadgets i mentioned that you may or may not find useful.

3. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    the pog is just octave sliders, an input gain slider, a lo pass filter slider, and a lo pass filter mode switch. the hog has all that, plus octave+a fifth up and two octaves+a third up sliders. oh, and also 3 octaves up and 4 octaves up. and a filter section. and an expression mode section. like the dude at EH said when i called and asked: "it's like the pog and the micro guitar synth in one" and "it's the pog on steroids."
    you definitely can do organ sounds on both... i'd go as far as to say that anything that can be done on the pog can also be done on the hog. but the hog gives you more.
    http://www.ehx.com/ehx2/Default.asp?q=f&f=/Catalog/01_New_Products/07_HOG
    go there and listen to the sound samples by gerry leonard and dan miller. also, download the manual for a better idea of what's going on. it's a little daunting and complicated at first, but you'll understand it with a little time and reflection.

4. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    oh, and there's some other juicy stuff on the hog, too.... like the middle expression button.... it's a momentary switch that acts as an expression pedal if you don't want to add an outside one. (listen to dan miller's second sound sample on the site... he uses the expression button for octave bends)

5. i've gotta get one of these...

6. my biggest excitement about the pog, was the organ sounds & the 12 string possibilities... but, it looks like the HOG is the only way to go... i would rather have the big dog & have all the options.... assuming it will make the same great sounds i have heard from the pog.

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The HOG kills the POG because it has an expression pedal function/input (for a whammy bar effect and shifting intervals on the fly) and offers more than just octaves.

If it offered 4ths also I'll probably ditch my Whammy for it.

8. has anyone who owns the HOG got any clips of it with bass? the clips on the EH site dont give much away for that.

9. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
  10. yeah ive heard that clip, it doesnt give much away though, as ever the only people the marketing dept care about are godamn guitarists :p i might have to see if i can try one in a store some time if anywhere keeps them on display. if i do i'll report back but hopefully someone can help us out. i think id be tempted to skip the HOG and just save up for an eventide rack because that could handle all my processing needs and just be generally amazing. i dont know how the octaving would compare though. i know the harmonizer is amazing but will it do the same octave tricks as a HOG? anyone know?

thanks.

11. Free Tibet

Free Tibet Guest

Sep 20, 2005
    Florida
    Why do they have to make the Foot Controller so huge? Is there anyway around that monstrosity using the MIDI in function?

12. I don't think that an Eventide unit would respond to double stops or chords with the effectiveness of the POG. The pitch shifting and harmonizing on the Eventide is going to be much cleaner though. That and you can bend up and down to various intervals. You can do a bit of this with the HOG if you have a volume pedal hooked up to it, but it is kind of distorted and compressed. It always sounds like you're going through the Bass Micro Synth effect they do.