1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

eh memory man..

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by a e i o u, Jan 9, 2008.

1. does anybody use a eh memory man even if it is for guitar? it is really expensive but after listening to the youtube demos of it, i am in love with the thing. i also found there is a memory man with hazaria. that one allows you to loop your tracks as well as having the same things as the other one but for some reason it is a hundred dollars cheaper. do you think the looping one has a less of an echo delay quality than the non looping one? i don't understand why you'd get such an awesome extra feature but also have it be a whole hundred dollars cheaper..? :confused:

2. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Lots of people use the Memory Man in a few different versions, not just the two you mention. If you search here you'll not only find comments about it, you'll find a very recent in-depth review of the the new one "with Hazarai". Most "guitar" effects are fine on bass, the chief exceptions being OD/distortions, and even they are popular here when used in a blender loop.

The reason the Hazarai one is cheaper is it is made using modern robotic assembly methods and miniature components.

3. so you don't think that there is a tonal difference at least tonal quality difference between the two?

4. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9btkeN05-8
    And it has nothing to do with the old memory man other than it is a delay and the name. The memory man with hazarai is a digital delay and a spectacular one at that,. The memory man is a analog delay, love by some, hated by others, I've never used one.

5. irvinz

irvinz

Nov 23, 2006
    Australia
    has too much gas
    gottal love the memory man with hazarei i use it with my accoustic. absolutely beautiful

6. i can't decide between the two! the one with hazaria seems like it'd be more fun to play with and its alot cheaper and i would looooooove to have a looper but for some reason i feel as though the more expensive one has better dreamy sounds on it with the vibarato and chorus ect. i guess if i had to call it something, im really after something i can make really 'dreamy' sounds with

7. Keep in mind that this is all subjective, but here goes ...

As someone else said, the Deluxe Memory Man is analog, the Stereo Memory Man w/ hazarai is digital.

What that really means:
    Generally speaking, digital delays are "brighter", and each delay will be an exact copy of the one before it. They will generally have much longer available delay times than analog, along with storable presets and more options. With an analog delay, aside from some built-in modulation (such as chorus or vibrato) there are less features, but you will get a warmer, more vintage sound. Each delay will roll off some highs, so that each successive echo is "darker" and a little more decayed from the original iteration.

It's tough to judge a term like "dreamy". I think about it more this way: when I think of digital delay, I think of sounds like U2, whereas with analog, I think of psychadelic sounds, like Pink Floyd. This is of course all a matter of taste and bias.

8. opivy3056

opivy3056 stardust in a light beam Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    San Diego
    Get the memory man with hazarai. Based on what you want, I think it will be a solid choice in the long run. (there are knobs on it to add ambience and darken the tone I beleive).

If you really really want a 300ms analog delay, try analogman's AR20DL. Very warm, very organic. Gets a little lo fi at delay times past 3 O'clock....but hey its analog not perfection. Also fairly cheap at $150. This is my go to, do everything delay.

For the price of a brand new EH memory man deluxe you could almost get both the SMMH and AR20DL.

9. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    Stereo Memory Man w/ Harazai also has 300ms. All of the settings are (correct me if im wrong)
    Regular:1 sec, 3 sec, 300 ms/mod,
    Multitap:1 sec, 3 sec, 1 sec+rev
    Other: Reverse Echo, 6 second Looper, tap tempo

it has a filter and decay knob also, filter controlls the ammount of bass in the delay/loop (it can make loops sound extremely dub like when turned all the way bassside) and decay adds a reverbish sound to your delays. The decay knob while looping something can be turned all the way to the left to play back your loop in reverse. While the loop is going you can also make the pitch up to one octave higher or down one octave lower by fiddling with delay times. You can also manipulate it with the filter controll.

While a loop is running you can switch it to a different function and play over your loop with that certain delay setting and blend accordingly with the blend knob, or by not changing the setting (leaving on loop but pedal still on) you can play clean over the loop.

Not to mention by holding the Harazai knob for 3 seconds you can save a preset into your pedal.

Now after hearing that, why wouldn't you go for this with it being a cheaper price and containing many more functions.

This may seem bias considering I own one but it really does have all of those functions.

10. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    Plus there are other analog delays, smaller ones, ones with longer times, ones that sound better.................

I think the Stereo Memory Man w/ Harazai is very cool as I said, my guitarist has one, but that didn't stop me from having a Maxon AD900 shipped from Japan and on it's way.

11. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    Yeah, but since I'm under the impression that the OP is on a budget that seems to be quite a bit of bang for his buck.

12. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    Buck banging depends on the individual's wants and needs. If one wants all the cool things the Harazai does then it is a great buy, it does a lot.
    But then there is the analog thing, some of us really love that sound and the reaction of them, the Harazai comes closer then most digital pedals but it still isn't one. Chorus and vibe aside [this is a whole other world of FXs] the Deluxe Memory Man with only 300ms seems rather costly, Malekko makes a 600ms one for less money and their 300ms ones are under $200, and Maxon makes one with 900ms for around $20 more then the Deluxe Memory Man; I got my maxon [600ms] used for a little less then the the Harazai. I think I'd really want to TRY a pedal like the Deluxe Memory Man BEFORE I bought it.

If I wasn't a analog freak, I'd get the Harazai and a then find a chorus pedal I liked as a chorus.

13. is there a huge tonal difference between digital and analog? like can you easily say oh he is using digital or oh he is using analog without actually really sitting down and listening?

14. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Yes and no... to the discerning listener, they could make a decent judgment, but with the flexiblity of modern digital delay pedals, it's no guarantee that they're right.

If it's a long delay time (i.e., significantly more than 1 second), then it can only be digital. I've never seen an anlog delay go above 900ms, IIRC.

If the decays are successively darker, then it's likely analog. But many digital delays can achieve that as well.

If the decays match the original note perfectly, or can be described as "clear," then it's possibly digital. But I've used a few rather clear and precise analog delays, too. The differences are subtle, and IMO, they're difficult to tell apart.

Realistically speaking, "analog" and "digital" have become descriptions of the tone of the delay sound; they're very difficult to tie to a specific pedal if you don't know what pedal the musician is using, unless they're pulling off something wild or unique to a particular pedal (like the Boss DD-6 Warp function).

15. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It used to be, back between about '78 (first digi delay) and maybe '95 (when digi delays started to get good at imitating analog) that you could easily tell by listening. Since then though, the quality of the analog BBD chips available has changed, and the quality of digi technology has improved hugely, so that the difference is not always apparent.

I used to be a hardcore analog fiend, but things change.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021