1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EHX Bass Blogger

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BioDriver, Aug 29, 2008.

1. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm in the market for an OD/Distortion pedal and this thing showed up:

bass_blogger.

I haven't been able to find any reviews on it, so I was wondering if any of you guys had used it and what your thoughts were. It's going to be used with a Q-Tron and maybe a delay, I'm not sure if I want to make that jump yet (or if I need to)

2. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I've owned the blogger for awhile now. I've found it responds very differently to different basses. My humbucker equipped Gibson barely gets any real dirt out of it, and I figure it's due to super high output pickups.

However, my passive Fenders can make the thing roar. It's isn't balls out distortion, but more of a subtle drive. Great for adding some harmonic content to the sound and some edge.

The fuzz circuit sounds very close to a muff, but it isn't exactly a muff. Hell, it could just be some type of a Bass Big Muff in there.

(Wouldn't that piss off BBM owners? hehe)

Definitely try it out with your bass, through your equipment if you can. It isn't necessarily for everyone.

Also, it doesn't run on a daisy chain unless the power is isolated, so you're either stuck with batteries or a wall wart.

I've been meaning to make a clip or two of it, I should get around to that.

3. BioDriver

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Thanks. I have a Fender J bass and an Ampeg BA-115, so based on what you've said the tone sounds right up my alley. I'll have to see if the music shop here has one in stock.

4. its definitely a bit of a conundrum, i havent used my bass blogger in a bit, coz i have no use for the fuzz side (i got a russian big muff, B:Assmaster and an MXR Blowtorch) and i didnt really like what i heard from the tone of the DRIVE side...then, for the first time i used the DRIVE setting in my band, and it just made my tone super fat and thick, it really does react differently to each bass, but the lack of daisy-chainability pisses me off alot, so its just sat on my desk for a while, definitely worth experiementing more with it, but ive also got a Pickle Pie B on the way, then i reckon ill sell my Muff, the blogger, (maybe even the Pickle Pie) and my Syb3 and downsize my board a bit,

if you are interrested in one, pm me. but exchange rates being what they are you might just be better off getting it from the states

5. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    No, because this thing isn't anywhere close to a BBM. As DosiYanarchy says, the drive is weak and the fuzz pales in comparison to real fuzz boxes (BBM stomps it, B:Assmaster annihilates it).

Nothing against 2-in-1 pedals (Mmmm Bit Mangler) but in this case, I think you'd be better of going in a different direction.

6. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I don't know, the fuzz side definitely reminded me of a big muff style fuzz. It may not be the exact same circuitry, but it's close IMO.

7. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    Sure, in a castrated half-the-muff-I-used-to-be sort of way. :p

BTW, cool band. One question about your (effective) advertising: Are you an awesome rock and roll dude, or are you missing a comma?

8. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Both :p

9. BioDriver

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I tried one of these out at the music store today. I ran it through the same bass I have and through an Ampeg amp (albeit a slightly better model than mind, which made this even more disappointing) and I was not pleased. The drive was too subtle and the fuzz was too much of a kick in the balls. A middle option would have been perfect, but alas.

The search for a good OD/fuzz continues....

10. LessIsmore

LessIsmore

Jul 23, 2008
    Athens, Greece
    What is a daisy chain? You mean that it can't be connected with other pedals, just by it self?

11. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Yes, it can't be on the same power source as other pedals. So no OneSpot, or Godlyke or DC Brick. You could use a Voodoo Labs with the isolated power supply though

12. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    That should be a song.....

13. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    :D

14. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'm workin' it up right now. It's in Bb.

15. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    Can't wait to hear it! Will you be using some sort of effect? Maybe a fuzz....

Oh, My lawyers will be in contact with you about my song inspiration fee. I'll give you a TB discount... :smug: