1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EHx BMS - old vs. new - difference?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SanDiegoHarry, Apr 23, 2009.

1. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I did a search - either found too much to too little info...

Can someone clue me in what the main differences are between the older Bass Micro Synth and the newer one? I have read that the faders are a bit more touchy on the new one... and that it is true bypass... And that some folks seem to like the one of the old one better...

Anything else?

thanks!

2. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    • More available resonance on the new one.
    • Seemingly more headroom on the old one (judging by distortion when using the sub-octave on lower notes on the new one).
    • Rate slider more difficult to set on the new one (range not evenly spread across the slider travel).
    • Bypass on the old one is the worst-sounding bypass in the entire world, but is easily moddable to true-bypass.
    • Old one seems to sound fuller and warmer somehow.
    • Old one is 24v, new one is 9v, but can't be daisy-chained.

FWIW I traded my old one for a new one, but recently traded that new one for another old one, and I'm glad I did.

3. SanDiegoHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA

• might you have a link to the mod instructions?

4. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Long story short, I like the newer one better. I'm used to it now...It just took some time to fall in love.

5. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I don't - I've been meaning to ask in here actually since I got my new (old) BMS earlier this week.

There is a thread about it in here (Google will find it for you) but no schematic and the attached images are now dead links.

6. SanDiegoHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    *Bast#$%ds!*

Well, I'm sure I can sort it out, high tech professional that I am (or am supposed to be during the day...)

7. CliffD

CliffD

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
  8. SanDiegoHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
  9. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Nice digging. I found that page the other day but it was loading so slowly I gave up.

I'm tempted to do the expression pedal mod too but that looks a lot harder, I don't really like the idea of disconnecting both boards - too scary! I need a second junker BMS to practice on.

10. One has Informational Fields inside of it. :ninja: