1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EHx Super-Knockout EQ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Count Bassie, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
  2. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    the knockouts a great pedal to buy................................then get bored w/ in 2 months and sell for 1/2 of what you paid for it.

it's okay...

3. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    So for fattening up and 'dub sounds', would you prefer say an Electronix 'Submarine' to it?

I've been sort of presented with a choice as a trade item. I'm doing some reggae gigs this summer, and just looking to optimize my more or less modest rig.

4. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    Yes

5. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    I dig a definitive answer.

6. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    for thickening dub sounds, I would first roll down my tone 75% or so, solo the neck pickup, and play right up near the neck, maybe even over the neck - with the meaty part of my fingers, not the tips.

THEN I might think about getting a pedal to help me.

The Knockout is better for sharpening attack than for slowing it, IMO. And what you want for dub is to slow the attack a touch.

The Submarine would give you some more tone control, which may or may not me necessary (depending on your bass and amp) and it will color your sound to an extent, which you may or may not sound favorable

send it to me when you're done with it ;)

7. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Thanks for the illumination.

I'm using the 'dub' thing as a standard to discern an explanation from. I do play with my right hand up at the neck, generally resting my right thumb on the butt of the neck; meaty fingers; a little behind-the-beat-like. And yep, tone rolled back, but not all the way.

As the music changes dynamics, sometimes I change r.h. position.

I'm dealing with playing in a good-sized room full of revellers, with no PA support. I'm working with the 400-watt power section of a Yorkville 400BH head. I have a Yamaha PB-1 pre, Aphex 651 comp and maybe a Sansamp in front.

Speakers... Henry the 8x8 (4 0hm) or an Avatar 212 and a single-15 (BW loaded, both 8 ohm) cab. There might be an Omnitop 215 in my future, that's pending $$.

I'm just looking to get the most out of my limitations, before I have to build a BFM Omni 15 TB or similar... Maybe I don't have to change anything, but can rather use up all of my potential here already.

8. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    you seem well-equipped. maybe a lowpass filter would be useful.

9. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    I'm sort of thinking more headroom. But maybe you're right... anyhow I will overkill given the chance! But I've got a trade idea going, and was wondering which pedal I should snag. It's a friend of mine, and I have an EQ rack thing he'd like to have. I don't think I need it- it's a 5-band parametric Behri. No room in the rack, and it's already starting to look like a lab in there! Bugs me a little.

Funny, those little quirks that have nothing to do with sound, per se.

I do other stuff too, and maybe the Sub would be fun. Thanks for the parlance, RC.

P.S. If I decide to lose it I'll let you know. ;)