Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EHX

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by davehewitsonuk, Dec 15, 2003.

1. davehewitsonuk

davehewitsonuk

Feb 24, 2003
    Does anyone use any of these EHX pedals for bass?

I have been looking at:

Small stone & wiggler.

i am already looking to get a bassballs and some kind of distortion, probably a Rat. I also wanted to know what chorus and flange pedals were good for a kind of modern rock/funky sound,

cheers

dave :bassist:

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    small stone isnt great. it sucks out my bottom end (both sides of the double entendre meant there!).

the wiggler is kinda fun, but not something youll us on every song. use it on an into or a bit off bass bridging and the audience will goo "oooooo" use it twice in the same set and theyll go "bleh"

as far as i can tell youd be better off with a big muff, sans amp bass driver, or the fulltone distortion box. or just have one custome made like me (/gloating off)

3. davehewitsonuk

davehewitsonuk

Feb 24, 2003
    Ah, cool

Are there any other modulation/filter effects that may be better than this. Maybe something more subtle that could be used more often, or something with a wide-range of modulation??

Also, which chorus and flangers are good?

thanks

dave

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    it depends on your budget, and what particularly you want.

seems like you might want to try an envelope follower filter? they go from simple dod boxes at about $50 through to EHX q-tron+ at about $150 (which is EXCELLENT) and then your in the reigns of the Z-vex offering and the Lovetone meatballup around $300 :)

You could try a manual wah... the crybaby 105q is the proverbial pitbulls plums...

think on what your budget is :)