1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Elbow pain after playing bass for a while?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by TheFenderBender, Jun 28, 2012.

1. TheFenderBender

TheFenderBender

Jun 27, 2012
    Anyone else experience on the outside of their elbow?

2. Yup. I went to see a hand surgeon (I had surgery on my fretting hand years ago)....... anyway I went back to see him because of weakness in my fretting pinky as well as pain in my elbow and my forearm (on top). He told me it sounded like a nerve issue and I am waiting to have a test done to verify.

3. TheFenderBender

TheFenderBender

Jun 27, 2012
    Its mostly just putting pressure on it

4. BiancaKiddo

BiancaKiddo

Jun 28, 2012
    Isle of Wight
    yes!

5. TheFenderBender

TheFenderBender

Jun 27, 2012
    Im glad I'm not alone. I am young too, so I was afraid I might have done something.

6. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    That's very odd, the elbows aren't the primary points of wear and tear for a bass player. Do you perhaps play the "Flea way" of holding your right elbow up in the air instead of resting your forearm on the bass?

7. TheFenderBender

TheFenderBender

Jun 27, 2012
    I do play in a unique way, I have double jointed fingers and a really large reach so I try to use that to my advantage and end up a little like flea I guess you could say.

8. fishstick666

fishstick666 Supporting Member

May 4, 2005
    Kalifornia
    I get it on my fretting arm side, and I have little girly hands. In my case, it's lateral epicondylitis (Tennis Elbow). If I practice sitting down, and only stand at band practice and gigs, it's a lot better.

I'm also an acupunture student, so a little self needling goes a long way.

9. TheFenderBender

TheFenderBender

Jun 27, 2012
    Yep, I beleive to have tennis elbow as well. :smug: