Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Electric goes "bwahhh" when recorded.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by SirFunk, Jan 16, 2006.

1. SirFunk

SirFunk

May 24, 2001
    Lincoln, NE
    So, Whenever i go to record with my Elrick bass (i don't have any others to test), my bass... especially the lower strings makes this BWAHHH sound at the attack of every note. I used to think it was my old strings.. i had some old DR's on it, however i just replaced them with MM signature DR's.

I'm recording with the preamp on, eq flat, pickup selector set to middle. Direct in to my PreSonus Firestation and into Cubase SX 3.

Here's a sample, same riff, played twice, once up higher and once on the low strings.

http://sadclown.net/files/mp3/weirdbass.mp3

anyone know what could be wrong? It's starting to drive me nuts.

2. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    I have listened to it over and over and I don't think its that bad at all...but you could try adjusting your action..maybe some of the strings are sitting too low???

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I agree. It sounds to me like some of your notes display the onset of very mild fret buzz, but overall it's fine. The use of the pick probably exagerates it a little.

Either adjust your string height up a little, perhaps try it again without the pick, or maybe just re-record it but try to tidy up your fretting hand technique a little.

4. Basses always sound different going DI rather than amp. You could always mic your amp if you don't like your DI tone.

I actually like the tone you're getting in the MP3 though. :)

5. SirFunk

SirFunk

May 24, 2001
    Lincoln, NE
    Ahem.. pick? Who said i use a pick?

heh,

anyway, I actually think a big part of the problem had something to do with my headphones. They are decent headphones Audio Technica ATH M40-fs. It's weird, any real, off the shelf recordings that have bass in it sound AWESOME, however, when i play mine throught them (either through my recording setup or though my heapdhone out on my head) the sound kind of warps. It's boggels my mind, why would playing bass in real time, effect the quality of the tone in my headphones? Ahh well, as long as i know it's just me, i guess it's ok.