1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Electro-Harmonix Big Muff question...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mello_bedwetter, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Just a quick question about the "Big Muff". Do you need to use it with a tube amp or can it be used with a solid state amp? I usually use a GK MB210 combo combined with a 210MBE or 410MBE. My other set up is a Peavey Tour 450 used with the 410MBE or the 210MBE stacked with the 410MBE. Thanks for any info.

2. Bengals

Bengals

Jul 6, 2010
    I've used both the Russian and Bass models of the Muff through several solid-state heads, never once had a problem

3. Darkglass

Darkglass Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 10, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    Douglas Castro, Founder: darkglass.com
    My rule of thumb is that if you like the pedal, it'll probably run smoothly on a clean tone you like!
    Specially with a fuzz that already clips the signal so dramatically, the dynamic response of the Amp after it won't be too critical.

Regards!

Doug.

4. GrooveRonin

GrooveRonin

Nov 20, 2011
    yup you should be fine

5. Dick Tree

Dick Tree

May 26, 2011
    Normal, IL
    I've used it on a hybrid tube amp (tube pre-amp) and a solid state. No problems.

6. I was just asking because I bought an Ibanez Tube Screamer for my bass and later found out that it was meant to be used mainly with a tube amp(hence Tube screamer :oops:). I still use it at times for a volume boost. That's why I'm asking about the Big Muff. Thanks.

7. The only pedals I can think of that will not quite do the job they should with a solid state amp are boosters, or overdrive pedals that are designed interact with the tubes of your amp and make them overdrive more easily.

The Big Muff is not one of these pedals. It's a fuzz, an effect by itself, like a chorus, or a delay or... whatever other pedal. It will sound different with a tube amp, but it'll work with a solid state as well (expect the sound to be sharper then with a tube amp).