1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory man on Bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Kenton, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Kenton

Kenton

Feb 16, 2009
    Hi all did a quick search couldn't find what i was looking for, I'm thinking of buying one of these has anyone got one?, played one? and what did you think and has anyone got any sound clips. Im not big on pedals but Ive had my eye on one of these for a while it's just the cost that's stopping me from taking a blind leap of faith.

Cheer's

Dan

2. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    I've tried my guitarist's. Got some great sounds out of it. Really warm. Very analogue (in a good way). I have no real use for it and am happy with my SMMH but that's an entirely different prospect. If you decide to go for the DMM, make sure you get the new XO version which is out now.

3. the XO version is only available in europe so that might not be so easy!!

or did they finally release that more widely, with new-fab ICs and nobody told me!?

The DMM is bright and features freaky modulation. It is very easy to get it self-oscillating. Also, at some settings the penultimate repeat will sound louder than the one preceding it. A quirky analog delay in true ehx fashion!

4. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i just got a vintage DMM and it's great. nice warm delays with the analog sound, modulation, and oscillation i know and love.

great unit with bass too. i have the "always on" preamp version that's not TB, but doesn't need to be. attached power cord, got it for $200, which is a lot cheaper than the new TB ones. i like the one i got.:D

5. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    Don't know about the USA but I see from his band's website that the OP is based in the UK like me! :smug: I've seen it showing in stock here. Everywhere else seems to still be selling the big version.

Only difference for USA or elsewhere is the power supply so can't imagine why it wouldn't be available globally? Mind you, with the pound falling so far against the dollar, the tables have turned and it makes sense for you guys to pick stuff up for next to nothing over here, just like we were doing ordering from the States back when it was two dollars to the pound!

6. there are a limited number of those because ehx came across a limited supply if the ICs

the way they're mounted (an their own tier above the PCB) there has been speculation about an eventual US version using new manufacture BBD.

7. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    Love mine, it's an older one with the preamp always on. The delay tone sits really well with the sound of the bass. I would love to put it with an Xotic blender or a basic true-bypass loop, but I'm not sure how the sound will change from bypass to on.

8. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I haven't tried it on Bass...but know several guitar players (and I mean a bunch) that absolutely swear by them...One guitar player buddy of mine uses two, set differently, and has built a couple of "makeshift" handles that he has mounted on the "blend" knobs, so he can adjust them with his foot on the fly...

I believe these have been modded as well, but I don't remember what the mod actually did...

9. markjazzbassist

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    all TB will do is eliminate the 'always on" preamp and make it so it doesn't affect the tone when the effect is off. since the volume on mine (and i'm sure yours as well) is at unity, it doesn't matter really, hence me not wanting to mod mine ever.

10. Kenton

Kenton

Feb 16, 2009
    Hi guy's fate has helped me out an old musician on my street was selling one new for 180, im having a play about with it now has any one got any recommended settings anything really, a good chorus perhaps.

Cheers

Dan

11. Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Feb 8, 2006
    Mexico
    I've never seen a DMM always on version any on wants to share a pic??

12. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    they need to release the XO version in the US :ninja:

13. it might happen... but only with new manufacture ICs

14. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    :eek:

15. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    would that change the sound if they changed the IC's?

16. hopefully not, but it should drive up the price of the old ones hahaha

17. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Mark...I have been drooling over one of these for about 2 months. Is yours the model that has the chorus/vibrato?

18. markjazzbassist

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    no idea. i sold mine a while ago and switched to the diamond memory lane 2. i prefer it.

sorry :(

19. neatobassman

neatobassman

Jul 16, 2005
    Antelope CA
    I LOVE those things. It sounds great on bass and guitar. Great pedal, but I like the non xo ones the best though.