Electro-Harmonix Distortions!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DryWater'Bass, Aug 3, 2004.

1. I've been contemplating a disortion/od/fuzz for my FX setup...Which EHX should I buy?

Big Muff Pi
    Big Muff
    Double Muff

I've heard bits and pieces of all three...But never heard a side by side comparison, anyone wanna comment here!!

Reviews, comments, and soundclips!!

2. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    played a big muff once, hated it. i hear big muff pi are the way to go. but get the sovtek ones. thats what im told anyway. my guitar player has a double muff, never tried it on my bass, but it sounds good on his end.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    DWB, there are only two pedals there, the Big Muff and the BMP are one pedal. It's commonly known only as a Big Muff, but it's officially the Big Muff Pi. (I'm working on a bass version called a Muff Dive or something -- it's in the works)

Anyway, they are in fact guitar pedals so right out of the box, they will not perform wonderfully, (I recommend mixing wet/dry signals for this in order to retain some low end)

Remember, neither are distortion pedals, they are fuzz pedals, which do as they sound, they make the sound fuzzy and somewhat thin. I personally love this sound. The Big Muff is a single circuit with plenty of controls, the Double Muff has less control, but two gain stages. It's timid in single mode, very VERY harsh in double mode.

As far as Ruskie/American, the Sovteks seem to be more harsh while the Yankees tend to be warmer sounding.
  4. doublemuff216

Jun 14, 2004
    Astoria NY
    distortion is my thing...I LOOOOOOVE disortion...my 2 main pedals are a marshall guv'nor plus and an electro harmonix double muff...the guvnor i use when i want all out over drive its kinda a auuuughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhrrrrrrrrrgggggggg sound where as most others are a shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....the double muff kinda does that for me too...but i use it as a smoother distortion...plus its VERY versatile...u can switch from a light overdrive sound to an all out bloody masacre of sound...it gives enough high end while not killing the low end...i saw it in bass player magazine a while back...and went that day to try it out...and walked home with it that day....if u have the means i highly suggest you pick one up...it is sooooo choice (and not a bad price i might add)
  5. doublemuff216

Jun 14, 2004
    Astoria NY
    sorry...i get a lil carried away with my distortions... :cool:
  6. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i was unware that there is just one. i thought there were two. thanks for the info.
  7. atoni

Jan 23, 2004
    Helsinki, Finland
    Endorsing Artist: Salo Guitars
    I had Big Muff Pi USA on loan from our guitarist and I loved it. It worked just fine with my SVT and all, but with my friends Fender combo it didn't sound good at all.

Recently I just bought Double Muff after I tested it at store with my bass I just had to have it. I like it more than Big Muff but both are great pedals
  8. spekman

Aug 5, 2004
    i just a big muff russia today (60 euro :eek: )
    i really like it, its cheap solid easy , the sound is excellent, you can really get everything out of it, its a just a really good effect :bassist: :hyper:
    the only negative point might be is that it only runs on batteries
  9. If the case is it only runs on batteries...I'll add a port for an adapter....Anyone know how??Splice the battery connection wires and run it to a jack?
  10. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    I know electronics, but I don't know effects, so excuse me if this is a stupid question. But... what's the difference between a fuzz and a distortion? As far a I can see they both just clip the signal, is it a matter of frequency response? Hard vs. soft clip?
  11. yes fuzz clips the signal more.
  12. Immolo

Aug 5, 2004
    Of the 2 the Big Muff is a little easier work with. As for US Vs. Russian models I'd go for the russian myself. The wiring in the older models is a bit tempermental, but the sound is so much crunchier. You might also want to check out EH's graphic fuzz and hot tubes pedals. There a little more elaborate fuzz effects if you really want to tweek out your sound. Also check out Voodoo Lab's Superfuzz pedal. Right now I have a big muff and a superfuzz right now and I honestly prefer the superfuzz to the big muff. The big muff sounds awesome but it's not as versatile as the superfuzz.
  13. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    That and a little more. It's easier said then done, but it's not hard at all.

14. If it only works on batteries there are adapters that will plug into where you plug in a bettery.
  15. I've been down all thse roads b4 with all the different fuzz/od/distortion pedals u guys r talking about...i feel like ur never gonna be 100% happy with any of thse pedals u r debating about, cuz i kno i wasnt...i recently bought a pedal that suits my distortion and od needs beyond my expectations, and it is the Homebrew Electronics Big-D its got 5 diodes to select from and a button w/ corresponding dial called "bigger"...right now mine is setup so the normal od sounds like an SVT on the verge of breaking and then when i hti the bgiger switch its a monstruous rumble of distortion...it loses absolutely no low end, really sturdy, and has the 9V adaptor jack (same style as boss pedals, so u dont need to go hunt down a different adaptor)...the only gripe i have about it is that i didnt find out about it sooner

deffo give 1 a shot if u can find 1...they go for about $240, i got one on ebay for $180

u'll really never need another distortion/fuzz/od pedal again
  16. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    While this is true, the Big Muffs are one of the better ones for bass, retaining more low end than most od/fuzz/dist pedals for guitar (and some for bass). Mixing wet and dry signals is still good though, and recommended.

I heard that the Sovtek Big Muff was better than the American Big Muff for bass (hello not jason). I never tried using an American, but I have the Russian one. Good sound cheap parts :p.
  17. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
  18. sal paradise

sal paradise

Aug 12, 2004
    Sorry to bring up an older thread, but I'm curious as to what the deal is with this?
  19. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Essentially a variant of the Big Muff circuitry better suited for bass in a Crybaby shell so far, where the rocking is a blend feature. Clean with toe up, all hell when toe down.
  20. red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    i would advise on the russian big muff

used to have a double muff and found it was difficult to get a full jaggy fuzz tone whilst still retaining any sound of a bass. sold it to a guitarist and he loves it.

i now use the russian muff and prefer it by miles. i like a really jaggy abrasive tone and the muff adds to that really well without taking away all the sound of my instrument.

it does however, sound slightly dodgy if you have to turn either the tone or sustain knobs whilst plugged in. but hey, for 20quid off ebay you cant go wrong!!