1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Electro Voice EVM-15L in a TL-606 Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mark Beckett, May 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark Beckett

Mark Beckett

May 2, 2018
    Hi,
    I'm new here and only just started learning the guitar, but what I do do well is repair speakers.
    In my mitts at the moment is several Electro Voice DL15W's.
    I'm thinking of reconing them into 15L's as I did one earlier and it sounded fantastic.
    What I'm thinking of doing is to build some TL-606 cabs with these 15L's inside.
    Has anyone got a view on this and is there a market for such a set up?

Cheers in advance. Mark

2. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    The TL606 with EVM is the cabinet that Mesa sold with the Bass 400. I have a pair, and the combo is good, although I can't speculate on current demand.

3. Mark Beckett

Mark Beckett

May 2, 2018
    Hi.
    The other option is to re-cone a couple as 15B's .
    So two 15L's and two 15B's

byrdzeye and Korladis like this.
  4. Rick James

Rick James

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    The Qes of the 15L is too low for good bass response. The 15B is better, but still putting 15Bs into TL606 cabs is state of the art circa 1978.

Jim Carr likes this.
  5. Mark Beckett

Mark Beckett

May 2, 2018
    I agree the 15L was intended to be for lead while the 15B would be for bass use.

Korladis likes this.
  6. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Wait a minute, the DL motor is different than the EVM motor, so just because an EVM kit might fit doesn't make it an EVM. The TS parameters are sure to bequite different. IIRC, the motor strength is greater with the EVM, and something tells me that the DL used a taller winding height, so the Le would also be different.

7. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Back in the day, I think preference depended upon tonal goals. 15B is definitely going to give more low end, but some bassist preferred the 15L. I think EVMs are actually better than many state of the art drivers in one way, wider dispersion. This was due to the drivers curvilinear cone, which is not very common...or maybe I have been duped by marketing mumbo-jumbo again. I will say my EVM18Bs sound surprisingly good, so I think it's a real dealio.

Korladis likes this.
  8. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    There is a unique mid voicing to the EV's, but they tend to suffer in the 40-60Hz range. Boxes tend to get large for decent LF extension too.

BasturdBlaster likes this.
  9. Mark Beckett

Mark Beckett

May 2, 2018
    That's an interesting point about motor and winding differences.
    I will go back to the two to be kit suppliers in the US as when I told them my plans they said there would be no issues

10. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Yep...I have a pair of 18Bs in boxes that are bit smaller than TL505 and they don't sound great. Very light on low end. The other pair is in TL405s in step down configuration (13 cu ft boxes). Plenty of low end and they sound better from top to bottom...hard to believe they are the same driver. I am sure they hit their Xmax pretty early with such a low tuning, but I have never heard either pair fart out and I have hit them pretty hard.

11. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    A band I was in during the early 90s had a Mesa 400 with the matching 215. I don't know if it had the Ls or Bs but the sound was more about low mid punch than sub bass. Quiet a rockin rig! But not the ideal choice for smooth jazz.

Korladis likes this.
  12. The best laid plans of mice and... marketing?

Anyhow... Welcome to TB.

Geetar player eh? Are you aware of a thing call a short scale bass?
    Might be just the ticket to get you into the challenge of working with drivers for the low end.

13. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    The aftermarket recone industry is somewhat generally a snakepit. There are many misconceptions and false promises made that you would only recognize when you go to measure the parameters or A/B it with the correct driver and run plots (both frequency/phase response and impedance). If there are differences in an identical cabinet, then the specs of the two are different.

I don't know if the gap height is different between the DL and EVM, it wouldn't surprise me if the DL had a slightly taller gap height which would result in a lower Xmax than an EVM when using an EVM kit in the DL.

I am a little surprised that the EVM kit fit, I remember (maybe foggy) the DL having a deeper cone, so if the EVM cone is used the cone won't fit very tight to the spider. The correct EVM kit had the spider inverted IIRC.

@Gismot might know more about this than I do, it's been a while since I did any recones.

groucho likes this.
  14. Marc, if you’re into reconing, I have 2 EV 15B’s that need to be redone. What’s your price :)

15. Mark Beckett

Mark Beckett

May 2, 2018
    Hi there.
    I charge £45 plus shipping plus the cost of the kit.
    Where abouts are you based.
    I'm in Halifax West Yorks

16. Never mind.... I'm across the pond... Thanks though!

17. Mark Beckett

Mark Beckett

May 2, 2018
    That's each by the way.
    Do they need coming or just the surrounds replacing

18. No, lord no... they need a full job. The voice coils are popping in both. I drove them far to hard...

19. Mark Beckett

Mark Beckett

May 2, 2018
    Do you want genuine or aftermarket kits?

20. I would love to have them both done right. Did you catch my post about being overseas? I'm thinking shipping would tip the scales too far...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.