1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Electronic tuner 6 string please help

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Blackcatbones, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Blackcatbones

Blackcatbones

Jan 6, 2013
    I'm sitting here trying to tune my six string that just arrived. I have an electronic bass tuner that plugs into the bass. It works fine with my 4 string but it doesnt seem to pickup anything from the six string. I got it to pick up E string as an A string. I'm thinking that the strings are too low for the tuner to pick up... Is there another way to do this ?
    Thanks!

2. Blackcatbones

Blackcatbones

Jan 6, 2013
    Like isnt it possible to tune using a different note on the string... Then somehow tune from there ? Idk...

3. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    I don't know if yours had it, but mine had a flat button. That might help.

4. Dr. Love

Dr. Love Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    If the tuner works on a 4 string, it should work on a 6 too (well, at least on 4 of the 6 strings for sure). Try the 12th fret harmonic, it may pick that up better.

5. Blackcatbones

Blackcatbones

Jan 6, 2013
    Hmmm no sorry I dont see a flat button just on/off manual auto and note select.
    I was thinking something like the 12th fret idea just wasnt sure if that one works. Thanks ill try that !

6. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    It'll work if you have correct intonation

7. It can be a few things, if you plug into an amp is the bass working ok?

Sometimes with new strings the overtones can give the tuner some problems, try playing the harmonics at 12 fret and see if the tuner gives a better response.

Do a rough tune from your 4 string by ear so the tuner is not trying to find a note to far away, so tune E A D G then use the harmonic on the 7th fret E string to tune with the 5th fret harmonic on the low B, if you are not used to doing that then play the note 7th fret E string it's a B an octave above the low B, compare that with the 12 fret harmonic of the B string they should sound the same.
    The 5th fret G string is a C so tune the C open string to that, you can also use the 5 fret harmonic on the G string to tune with the 7 fret harmonic on the C string. If your tuner does not have the facility to tune the C string then use the 7th fret harmonic on the C string it's a G note check that with G on your tuner.

See if you have better luck with the tuner with the bass roughly tuned.

8. Blackcatbones

Blackcatbones

Jan 6, 2013
    Awesome this helped a lot I think its pretty much in tune now. Some trouble picking up the open low B but I think I got that one pretty close too. It did seem like the tuner was having a hard time picking up the notes. Its a lot more stable o the four string. With this it would fluctuate between sharp and flat on its own then towards the end of the note it would settle into the correct tune. What might cause that ? Otherwise I think im good to go, thanks a lot !

9. I have found that to, sometimes as I pluck the note it will read sharp then settle. The low B is quite sensitive to being tuned compared to the other strings, it does get better once you have played the strings in a bit, also tuning of the harmonic may be a bit more stable. I always double check tuning especially the low B, I'll tune up and play a bit then go over them again.

Good luck.

10. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    Is the six-string an active bass, and is the battery fresh and the volume knob turned up?

11. Blackcatbones

Blackcatbones

Jan 6, 2013
    Its passive but that is a good idea too

12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Get a chromatic tuner next time. Something tells me the tuner is question only indicates if you are on the proper note, not what note you are playing. Not all tuners work for the lower register but if it detects a 4 string's low E it should detect a 6 string's E no problem. It isn't any lower because it is on a 6 string. I have seen many guitar tuners that do not recognize bass frequencies. As others have said try using the harmonic to tune it will ring at a higher frequency.

13. bander68

bander68

Jan 29, 2013
    I've found several tuners for my android phone that are more capable than those one- trick ponies. The best one is called Pitch Lab Digital Chromatic Tuner. It has a ton of preset options, including 6 string bass, and it has a lot of different views available. Free. No ads. Just perfect in every way I can think of.