1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

electronic wiring question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JacksonsMen, May 11, 2006.

1. do wires matter? in a sense of core material?

and whats the best type of solder to use?

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    wires do matter. Stranded wire is always better to use for instruments over solid core, as solid core breaks very easily. Nickle and copper are very similar in conductivity, so either works well. If using a multi - conductor wire, make sure it is shielded. Finally,, if you can find "Oxygen free Copper" wire, this is ALWAYS the BEST. As for solder, a good Rosin core or Acid Core, will always do a good job if you are attentive to your solders. I use silver bearing solder, as I clean and flux all my connections seperately.

3. +1.5

4. Thunder Lizard

Thunder Lizard

Dec 7, 2005
    Lethbridge, AB
    Canadian Distributor, Basson Sound Equipment
    +1. Totally.

5. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    also, stay away from 60/40 solder . . . the best is 63/37 (it goes directly from liquid to solid, without passing that "paste-y" zone)

6. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    -1. Some bad advice here.

1: NEVER use acid core solder on electronic circuits. :scowl:
    2: Solid core wire breaks more easily due to fatigue, but it is also easier to strip and place. I wouldn't exactly say it breaks "very easily," either. If the wire isn't going to be moved much, solid may be a worthy choice. FYI, I use solid core for most of my wiring.
    3: OFC is just a marketing term.

7. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

You took the works right out of my mouth.

The residue from acid core solder is corrosive and will corrode component leads, board traces and form conductive paths between components. Rosin core is best.

There's no need for stranded wire inside a bass compartment as far as breaking goes. The wire doesn't get fatigued because it doesn't move. I personally find stranded wire easier to solder and that's the only reason that I use it.

OFC is my pet peeve.

8. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Lineā„¢ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    +2 to fookgub & Geoff!

acid core solder is BAD, BAD, BAD for connections in your bass. just in case I'm not clear on this ... it's BAD. and there's no need to use separate (and messy) flux compounds if you have a good rosin core solder to begin with. remember - you're not soldering together the plumbing system on your house

I use both stranded and solid core wire on my basses, depending on what I'm using the wire for. If you have solid core wires breaking in your control cavity due to stress fatigue you've got a SIGNIFICANTLY BIGGER PROBLEM than what wire you used to connect your components together.

all the best,

R

9. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Such as repairing your bass where it blew apart.

10. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
  11. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Retort.....Firstly, My most humble apologies about the acid core assessment, I was speaking from a general soldering point of view. Guess I should have taken this into consideration.

2nd....Solid core wire is ALWAYS bad for NEWBIES to any kind of soldering due to breakage. Every newbie I have ever seen solder solid core, moves it around and around, thus you get breakage. I also use solid core in a lot of my instruments, but I would not reccommend it for beginners working in the close confines of a control cavity, or without some practice first. IMHO.

3rd...OFC is not a marketing ploy. I worked for Belden Wire, and have witnessed firsthand the difference between an environmentally sealed strand runner, and an open air strand runner. OFC copper is stronger, less likely to corrode, and almost 3 times more efficient in conductivity at length. This may not equate to much in a bass cavity, but it equates to a great deal in electrical transfer on larger cables.

Monster Cable is a marketing ploy....LOL