Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Electronics...Smoke...Bad...Help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lowfreqfreak, Jul 13, 2005.

1. lowfreqfreak

lowfreqfreak

Jul 1, 2001
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Basses, GHS Strings
    Hi-
    Not really a pickup issue (but maybe it is). Didn't know where else to post.
    I have a 1994 Warwick Streamer LX. I bought it used in November. At that time it had a 9v battery already in it, which lasted up until June. I bought a 2 pack of Duracell Alkalines and replaced the battery. Problem solved, no big deal.
    After a couple of practices, I started to notice my volume was noisy. When turning the knob and sometimes touching it, there would be a loud static noise. I figured I should check the ground and that there might be some dirt in the pot and planned on cleaning it. The noise grew worse as I delayed cleaning it. Finally tonight I sat down to clean...decided maybe there was a problem with the particular battery (read someone else's post with something about a "bad cell in a 9v battery") Anyway, the newer (but 3 weeks) battery made the noise go away slightly, but there still was some "dirt/static" when I twisted the knob. I opened the compartment and looked inside, everything looked fine. Then I changed back to the old battery to compare once again. Then all hell broke loose... I noticed a very small trail of smoke...smelled like burning plastic. I assume the electronics are fried as now the bass makes no sound in active mode, and only very faint in passive without the battery. What went wrong? Anyone have a ballpark figure on new electronics (2band) + installation? I'm dreading the coming bill. Please help.

2. It may not necessarily be as bad as you think. Perhaps the battery positive lead got loose and shorted to ground somewhere. Or another wire shorted to the battery.

Have you opened the electronic compartment to look at it? If so, describe what you see, maybe take a picture or to and post here. We can try to help.

Or take it to a tech.

3. lowfreqfreak

lowfreqfreak

Jul 1, 2001
    Everything looks normal in there. I'll work on getting a picture in a few minutes

4. lowfreqfreak

lowfreqfreak

Jul 1, 2001
    There was a broken ground. I don't know why there was smoke. The battery was hot too. A tech is looking at the bass now and is going to let me know if the pre-amp is fried. If so, I'm going to try to upgrade from the 2 band eq to 3 band eq with a stacked knob.