Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Elixirs Slipping off! HELP!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by improvpwnd, Dec 16, 2005.

1. I just bought my first set of Elixir Polyweb's and installed them on my Stringray. The D and G strings seem to just slip off the tuning peg everytime I try to tighten them! I'm thinking this is because thick Polyweb coating...anyone else use these strings/have this problem? I think I just wasted $50! :help: I emailed Elixir, asking them to send me a set of the Nanoweb ones, with less coating, but well see..I doubt they will.

2. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    I have used Elixir Polys extensively on many basses, 4 and 5 string. I have never had the problem you are describing. It is not related to the strings, IMO. Are you leaving enough length to allow 3 wraps around the post? Not trying to say you haven't strung up properly, but just check to see if you have inserted enough string in the center of the tuning post, that you have enough wraps around the post, and that each wrap goes under the one before it.

3. yes, well i string my basses with 2 wraps, but this shouldn't be a problem because ive been doing it this way for 7 years and this is the first time this has happened. It has to be the coating that is making them slip. I'm gonna try nanos next, hopefully it will help.

4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I had a set of Elixir Nanowebs that I tried to put on my Music Man Bongo, but they kept slipping on the tuning posts. I was never able to install them. It seems that Elixirs aren't a good match for the Music Man tapered tuning posts. :meh:

5. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    No problem on my SX...

6. wow, that is genuinely strange. They worked fine on my dearmond too...It definately sounds as though its not just a one off...have you tried installing them on other basses and seeing what the results are? I cant remember seeing much difference in MM tuning pegs to any other manufacturers.

Elixirs tend to be slightly 'heavier' in feel to standard guage strings, maybe try finding lighter guage nanowebs?

7. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The MM tuning posts are tapered. They are wider at the top, and narrow as they get closer to the peg head.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I had no problem stringing my Stingray with Polywebs. Are you pushing the end down into the tuner like you're supposed to? Bending a right angle after that?

9. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    I have the Nanowebs on my Stiletto, no prblem so far. I never tryed the Polys but they look like strings that someone jizzed on and let dry. As far as these Nano's I don't care for the tone of them so I'll switch them out for some boomers in the future. :spit:

10. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Yep. I've been a musician for over 20 years. I know how to string-up an instrument...

11. warwickstage2

warwickstage2

Dec 29, 2012
    Yo, I just went through TWO .045 strings before I finally figured out a solution (on my third string). Sad I know it came to this and yes I AM pissed I spent money on this situation. However, after pulling my hair out and looking to Google for an answer (how I landed here), I tried one last thing before throwing these things in the trash.

I bent the string at a 90deg angle after leaving about 2 to 2 1/2 inches of length past my tuning peg. Instead of cutting the string off at about 1/2 inch to 1 inch, I cut it twice as long (after the 90deg bend). I then bent the string in half (the length left after the original 90deg bend and where I cut the excess off). This left me with a double up length to slide into the hold in the tuning peg. I started to wind my tuner and viola...success! The additional 90deg bend and the doubled up excess string inside the hole of the tuning peg created enough tension to keep the string in place. I've been playing the bass now for three hours or so and I've had no issues.

Maybe give this a try (if you haven't already thrown your coated strings in the trash).

Happy playing...

12. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Well the original post was made 8 years ago, so yeah I'd say it's probably no longer an issue :)

13. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2008
    Burlington, VT
    Endorses SIT Strings
  14. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Still, it's a good tip.

15. Toptube

Toptube Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    If i'm understanding this method correctly, this probably won't work with smaller tuners. As the hole to shove the strings into isn't very big on say, an ibanez SR. the hole isn't wide enough, to fit a doubled up string.