Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Elrick 8-string-Check It Out

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Rob Elrick sent me this pic after letting me know that it was possible to order a 33" Elrick.
    [​IMG]

Rob's quote: "If you think of something that you believe no one is doing, you can be sure that Japan has already ordered two of them... "

2. So, is that 33"?

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It looks it- it actually looks like a big piccolo bass. Not sure though.

4. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    IME, the difference is pretty subtle. I don't think I could tell just by looking at one, without an identical 34" bass to compare it to. It's even a pretty subtle difference when you're playing one.

(Except for that "hmm, this seems really easy to play?")

5. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    Jesus H. Christ, that is a beautiful instrument.

6. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    that thing is sweet. Although the neck is shorter, im sure the price tag is still up there.

7. Maybe that will give the Conklin boys a run for their money.

Lovely looking bass.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Got another shot from Rob of the back- the bass has a 30" scale. I guess that's why it's got the smaller tuners as well.
    Gorgeous bass.
    [​IMG]

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    nice bass. :hyper:

10. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal

you know the tuning?

11. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Wenge neck????

12. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Nope. Doesn't look particularly drastic as far as string thicknesses from string to string though, does it?

13. 30"... that's awesome. Looks really nice. I'd like to know how it's tuned.

14. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    With the tuners, I'd imagine ;)

And yeah, that's a wenge neck.

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    oh my freakin'!!!!!!!

16. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    I'd love to get my grubby mitts on that thing. :eek:

17. Nice!!! I spotted this one the other day and did a double-take :eek:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

A piccolo 6-string from Rob :D

18. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I saw that just today- it's the first piccolo of his I've seen a picture of, but apparently it's one of the things he does regularly that very few others do. I'm not sure of the specs on that one, but another he did that was reviewed for a magazine said they have a 28" scale with about 5/8" spacing at the bridge.

19. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Rob Elrick let me know today that the bass is tuned EADGCFBbEb, so it goes way into the upper registers.

20. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I'm not a big fan of SC designs, but this one is tempting...