Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Elrick Owners Only!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zooberwerx, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Naaah...that's okay. I'll let anybody play.

I have a really nice NJS 5 (thanks grooveguru!) which sports a single Bartolini P/U and Aggie OBP-3 preamp. The tone is fairly decent but dark and lacks any discernible focus (?). I think there's some real spark buried in her somewhere.

I'm considering swapping out the Bart P/U while retaining the Aggie preamp. Any suggestions as to which makes / models might improve this situation? My only experiences have been with Barts and EMGs. Let me know what you think!

Riis

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Most of mine have the stock setup: Bart J style pickups with 3 band Bart preamp. Serious focus among other things. I didn't care for the OBP-3 in the Elricks I've heard it it in.

Yours of course skews things by being a one pickup bass. All bets are off;). I have a one pickup NJS 5 but it's fretless, semi-hollow, passive and has a piezo bridge. Not much in common with yours.

It's focused too.

3. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Thanks Brad!

I had a similar problem with my David King 5er. The active Bart P/Us didn't quite do justice so I swapped 'em out for an EMG P/U and preamp which I happend to have on hand. Definitely an improvement but I won't assume they'll have the same effect with the Elrick.

Riis

4. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    Pls Don't... well at least call Rob or Nordstrand.

5. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    All my Elricks have Barts in them.

I did get a custom pair of Nords 6s made which I'm waiting for covers. I'm going to try them out in one of my basses. One thing I thought I had nailed was the strings that I use. I thought for sure I knew my brand and that's what I used. I tried a set of DRs last year, and really loved them. I find that nickel strings on Elricks sound much darker than on other basses. Conversely SS strings tend to sound brighter. What sort of strings do you have on your bass, and have you tried stainless steel strings?

6. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Been there, dun that. Rob is definitely not a big fan of either EMGs or SD / Basslines. I'm not really familar with the Nords but I'll keep an open mind.

I think my strings are Ken Smiths (NOS back-up set that I kept in my gig bag). Not sure if they're nickel or SS.

Riis

7. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I'd try a new set of SS strings first before you go and order a new pickup. Strings will run you $40. A new Nord pup will be a bit more than that. ;) Try DR Hi-beams/Fatbeams if you're looking for SS lower tension (ie: more flexible), or DR Low's stainless steel, for a tighter feeling string.

I think Brad mentioned that he uses DRs in the string forum, and also Bryan R Tyler who owns just as many Els also strung his new bass with DRs.

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Yep, I'm switching my fretted Elricks over to DR Fat Beams.

9. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Do they come in fat-free? I have to watch my cholesterol.

Seriously, do both the Hi Beams and Fat Beams have tapered B strings?

Riis

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I don't believe that the DRs have tapered Bs. I also use Fodera Diamond stainless steels on my fretted 5 and nickels on my (just sold) fretless 5 Elricks. Both DRs and Foderas are great strings.

There's one thing about all of my Elricks no matter how different they are that I've noticed; they're all very sensitive to adjustments. They'll sound like you do, and they'll pick up on physical changes pretty easily. Adjusting the pickup heights makes a big difference in their sound, as does changing string type and gauge, truss rod adjustments, etc.

Play around with all of these elements before considering switching to EMGs. Most Elricks are farily bright as it is- I imagine putting EMGs in there would make your amp explode every time you popped the G string ;)

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Fat Beams don't. I don't use tapered on anything.

12. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    +1 on the pickup height.

When I got my first Elrick, the B/E string side was really boomy. I raised the C string side by less than 1/2 turn of the screw, to even it out. What a difference.

13. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Thanks to all.

String response is pretty uniform across the fingerboard. I'm gonna give the SS strings a try; certainly the cheaper route.

Riis

14. Swansea14

Swansea14

Jun 1, 2010
    Do people still post here? I am a new Elrick owner and in the Fall of 2010, I welcomed my first Elrick Evo 5 Gold Series Lefty with an amazing Spalted Maple Burl Top.

Just today I bought the only Lefty Evo Singlecut that Rob Elrick has ever built! I can't wait to pick it up in Austin next week at Bass Emporium!