Elwood Francis

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Lizooki, Jul 31, 2021.

1. Lizooki

Lizooki

Feb 24, 2008
    Longtime guitar tech for ZZ Top is the apparent next bassist for ZZ Top.

60ff1b594f15a.image.jpg

Hill, the trio's bassist since 1969, died at age 72 last night, but not before insisting bandmates Billy Gibbons and Frank Beard continue without him.

"As Dusty said upon his departure, 'Let the show go on!' And ... with respect, we'll do well to get beyond this and honor his wishes," Gibbons told SiriusXM radio host Eddie Trunk in a message confirmed by ZZ Top publicist Bob Merlis.

The band's longtime guitar tech, Elwood Francis, will take over on bass, per Hill's wishes. "Dusty emphatically grabbed my arm and said, 'Give Elwood the bottom end, and take it to the Top,'" Gibbons explained to Trunk. "He meant it, amigo. He really did."

Francis made his stage debut with ZZ Top last Friday, filling in after Hill was forced to leave the band's tour due to what was reported as a hip injury.

Read More: Dusty Hill Insisted ZZ Top Not Break Up Following His Death | Dusty Hill Insisted ZZ Top Not Break Up Following His Death

Upstate SC Bass, bassbrad and DirtDog like this.
  2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Who is doing Dusty's vocals - can this guy sing as well?

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Seems like a plea from a dying man. You don't know you're going to die from "hip surgery". I wonder what really was the cause of death.

Either way, if Dusty insisted on it, and this guy makes everybody involved happy, I'm all for that part.

But why all the secrecy regarding his death?

4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    None of our business. Dude is entitled to his privacy.

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Fair enough. Then don't say he was removed from the tour for emergency hip surgery. I'm entitled to have nobody assume I'm an idiot. A man going in for hip surgery doesn't beg his band mates to go on without him. Simply say "We're respecting his privacy" and be done with it.

tindrum likes this.
  6. Texaspandj

Texaspandj

Feb 13, 2021
    Heart Of Texas
    Well Billy has a way of telling stories.
    Initially, he was saying Dusty told him continue the tour with elwood til he gets back. But then he's now turned it into something more dramatic. Perhaps it's his way of dealing with his feelings in order to continue without Dusty.
    Either way, the show will continue.

Side note: Elwood can play a pretty good guitar and should have no problems covering. And funny how he grew a beard during the pandemic shut down almost foretelling. However, I don't think he's a Texan but Billy and Frank are enough Texan for the three of them.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    DirtDog likes this.
  7. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Tough shoes to fill, but if that’s what Dusty wanted, well, hell…

I enjoyed Elwood’s rig rundown appearances. Didn’t recognize him with the hair and beard! Appears as though he’s fitting right in!

Dusty will be missed but glad to see the band still doing their thing.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021