EMG BQC/JAX/MM5TW-X Install Hell

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BigKD, Sep 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BigKD

BigKD

Apr 19, 2014
    HALP!

Anybody familiar with this install? I can't get any sound of the bass, and the single 9V battery is getting really hot when I have it connected...

I've gone over the install diagram over and over and over. Everything looks correct to me. The only part of the install that is sorta hazy is connecting the MM5TW dual/single coil push pull put as the master volume.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  2. rwkeating

rwkeating

Oct 1, 2014
    Chicago
    none
    If the battery is getting hot you probably have shorted it out and no power is getting to the components. Don't leave the battery connected that way. A shorted batter can be dangerous.

Have you seen the video on the BQX EMG Pickups / BQC System / Electric Guitar Pickups, Bass Guitar Pickups, Acoustic Guitar Pickups

You might want to try leaving some components out and only add them back in if things work in the previous steps. When things stop working, you've found the area that the problem is in. Without seeing clear pictures of exactly how things are connected it is hard to offer any help.

Hahnzy likes this.
  3. BigKD

BigKD

Apr 19, 2014
    I watched those videos like 10 times and checked over my entire setup multiple times. I even got the reversed connector part correct on the main control board. So I'm stumped. Maybe I've got a bad preamp or something...

4. BigKD

BigKD

Apr 19, 2014
    What is not covered as well is using the MM5TW push/pull pot as a master volume. As I understand it, this how to set it up:

MM5TW
    => push/pull/master volume (to serve as push/pull)
    => active balance control (JAX pickup goes directly to this...no dedicated pot)
    => BQC main control board (has the midrange pot on it and is prewired connected to treble pot
    => push/pull/master volume (this time to serve as master volume)
    => output jack

5. rwkeating

rwkeating

Oct 1, 2014
    Chicago
    none
    I can just go back to my suggestion of testing a few of the parts at a time. For example, leave out one push pull and see if it works. If it does you found the problem. If it doesn't work put it back in and take out the other push/pull.

I have never used all that stuff together so that's the best I have offer. Good luck.

6. rwkeating

rwkeating

Oct 1, 2014
    Chicago
    none
    The more I think about it I feel you have shorted out a positive (red) battery connection to ground. Do you have a volt/ohm meter to check with? I would focus on all the connections coming off of the red battery wires.

7. BigKD

BigKD

Apr 19, 2014
    I'll see if I can track one down. I just wired the humbucker straight to the BQC module and then took the module output to the output jack and it works!

So the BQC main board and the humbucker are functioning...I'll keep plugging in more stuff to see where the problem is...

rwkeating likes this.
  8. BigKD

BigKD

Apr 19, 2014
    JAX pickup is working in the same setup. I can already tell it's going to be a big improvement over the stock MEC passive J.

rwkeating likes this.
  9. BigKD

BigKD

Apr 19, 2014
    Actually, I was wrong. ONLY the JAX pickup is working lol. When I attempted to take the output straight off the MM5TW push/pull pot (you have to use the pot to get the output of this pickup), I get crickets.

I found my mistake, though. I had the connector that connects directly into the MM5TW upside down. You want the arrow side to be facing up at you!

10. rwkeating

rwkeating

Oct 1, 2014
    Chicago
    none
    So it all works now?

11. BigKD

BigKD

Apr 19, 2014
    In the process of putting the entire system back together...will report back. There was no way it was going to work before! Apparently the orientation of the connectors is very important. It's not like a copper wire that can be upside down/sideways/whatever...

12. BigKD

BigKD

Apr 19, 2014
    Got it all back together and...crickets. Lol. I'll see if I can track down a meter. Hey at least now I know that the following is functional:

BOTH pickups
    midrange stack
    treble/bass stack
    main preamp board
    MM5TW push/pull (not sure tho about it functioning as master volume)

So right now my suspicion is the active balance control...

13. Contact EMG suport - they are extremely helpful. I am also 99% sure you can't use the TW with the balance cotnrol..... have to run two volumes.

Actually - I am 100% sure - see this:

EMG Pickups / MMTW / Electric Guitar Pickups, Bass Guitar Pickups, Acoustic Guitar Pickups

Pertinent point (bolded for emphasis):

When using two of TW Pickups in the same instrument it is not recommended that our BT or BQ Systems be used. Each pickup requires a push/pull pot for switching from single coil to humbucker, so the balance control included with the system can'’t be installed. If you want to use the balance control, consider switching single/dual coil outputs with a DPDT toggle switch(s) instead.

14. BigKD

BigKD

Apr 19, 2014
    I'm only using one MMTW. The other pup is a JAX, so it seems this is not relevant to my situation.

15. BigKD

BigKD

Apr 19, 2014
    Ok it's all working now...had the pickup power connectors off by one peg on the active balance control.

I'll post a more detailed review later, but this is clearly an upgrade over the stock MEC stuff that was on this Warwick Thumb. What amazes me so far about the EMGs is how close they sound to the unplugged tone. That may not be what everybody is looking for in their pickups, but it's certainly what I wanted, and I feel that my extensive research correctly identified active EMGs as the best fit for this guitar.

rwkeating likes this.
  16. rwkeating

rwkeating

Oct 1, 2014
    Chicago
    none
    Congratulations. You did it!

BigKD likes this.
  17. BigKD

BigKD

Apr 19, 2014
    If it took me this much pain and suffering with a solderless system, I can only imagine how bad it would be if I had to whip out my soldering iron. That said, I really do want to try out more pickups in this bass...so many different flavors out there. I'm hooked!

18. I remember installing a EMG81/85 set and wasn't working properly even though everything looked right. The problem was that i had connected the wires with the arrow facing the wrong way.

19. BigKD

BigKD

Apr 19, 2014
    Yup. It's a real ass kicker ain't it?

I'm also much less than pleased that I had to break out my soldering iron for the solderless system.

20. I had to break out mine too! lol

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021