1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EMG BTC Control for P/J?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Diesel Kilgore, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Just wondering if this will work or if anyone has done it? Possibly a schematic?

I want to get a better and more controllable preamp for my cheap Ibanez. I like the pickups and the 500k pots but looking for more ummph and control. The phat boost is ok. But is blah. I wonder if this EMG setup will pop right in where the phat boost was? Or maybe its a bit more complicated?

2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Should work well. Works fine in my formerly-passive dual-pickup bass. I like the configurable high-frequency band.

3. Thanks. I didn't know it could be used for dual pickups. I have been thinking about this or getting the GFS active setup which will equal out in cost. Im kinda on the fence. Like I said I think the 500k pots and factory pups sound good. With a better preamp they should be really solid. But then with the GFS setup I get a chance to swap pups and go for a full active and possibly way better pickup set over factory.

4. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    I don't usually hear "GFS" and "way better" used in the same sentence. But the quality of the BTC is quite good.

5. Well maybe a step above the factory pickups in my Ibanez. But im not sure. A good preamp may make the difference.