1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EMG electronics

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fruitlabor, Mar 25, 2013.

1. fruitlabor

fruitlabor Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2007
    I just installed EMG J5 and BQC active preamp in a Fender MIM jazz deluxe and it just doesn't seem to be where I believe EMGs should be. Is it necessary to run 18volt to get the best sound or do the newer EMGs sound different than the older 1987 stuff?

2. low2groove

low2groove Tyranis 4 / Lower Groove Guitars

Jan 21, 2007
    Hopefully you installed both pickups and also make sure to disconnect the ground wire from the bridge. It's a potential shock hazzard if you leave it hooked up.
    They should sound about the same unless that is one of the models they have overhauled. 9V is all you need for EMG gear.

3. fruitlabor

Apr 6, 2007
    The ground wire is in the cavity but not hooked up. Should the treble be heard. I thought these were completely quite?

4. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Why would an EMG circuit necessitate the removal of the ground wire?

5. low2groove

Jan 21, 2007
    and big letters on any EMG wiring diagram it insists the removal of the ground wire is needed.
    there is some type of shock hazard from the strings grounded to the bridge then to the pots.
    I know EMG's are dead quiet . the specific reason why the wire should be removed is because the EMG's are internally grounded.

6. low2groove

Jan 21, 2007
    also middle detent is passive.
    you're going to hear hiss with just about any system if you have the treble cranked up all the way.

7. bassfreakah

bassfreakah

Mar 26, 2011
    Endorsing Artist Ernie ball strings
    if the bass cavity is not shielded you will get noise i know i do on my corvette. and i can here hiss when treble is cranked. they are great pickups, they come standard in the best basses.

8. fruitlabor

Apr 6, 2007
    So are you saying disconnect the ground wire from the bridge completely?

9. There is no such thing as a shock hazard from the ground potential, unless the ground potential is not at ground potential. And that is an issue of using equipment on opposite phase power, not bass wiring.

As far as supply voltage, some people can hear the difference and some don't care. Most people run their EMGs at 9V, in any case.

10. jbrooks

jbrooks

Sep 7, 2007
    I have EMGs in a couple of bass guitars. 18 volts gives you more "headroom" according to their literature. I've ran systems with both 9 v and 18 v and I prefer the 18v

11. bassfreakah

bassfreakah

Mar 26, 2011
    Endorsing Artist Ernie ball strings
    hell i barely got one battery in there.

12. 5StringThunder

5StringThunder

Dec 28, 2012
    Some EMGs prefer 18v but run fine on 9v.

13. low2groove

Jan 21, 2007
    I was playing one time as a teenager on a cement floor. while my fingers were on the strings my mouth touched the microphone. I got knocked backwards a bit the shock was that powerful. At 52 i tend to follow instructions more than I did when I was a kid, lol
    So as far as I and EMG are concerened the shock hazzard pretty much goes away, at least from touching the strings, if you don't connect the bridge ground

I start out with EMG's in all my custom builds and
    here is what it says right in the EMG install instructions.

When installing EMG Active Pickups, DO NOT connect the bridge
    ground wire. This wire is usually soldered to a volume or tone
    control casing and goes to the bridge. This wire grounds the
    strings and uses them and your body as a shield against hum and
    buzz. It also creates a shock hazard.
    EMG Pickups are shielded internally and DO NOT require string
    grounding. This greatly reduces the possibility of reverse
    polarity shock from microphones and other equipment.

14. awamori

awamori

Dec 10, 2009
    EMG states that if you use both their pickups and preamps together you'll need to run them at 18V.

15. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    EMG's do not require shielding or grounding the bridge, but you can leave the bridge wire grounded and it will be just as any other bass on the market; you can get shocked under "special" circumstances just like with any other bass/guitar.

16. low2groove

Jan 21, 2007
    no offense but actually, #1 under the installation notes states
    "only one 9 volt battery is required to power the pickups and any accessories"

it's either 3db or 6db of headroom you gain with each battery. I can't remember.

17. fruitlabor

Apr 6, 2007
    So since I am using both, I guess I better make room for another battery...

18. low2groove

Jan 21, 2007
    I've installed over 200 EMG systems over the years and one 9 volt battery has always sufficed to run the entire system. In some cases the client wanted 18 volt so I put it in. It was never actually needed though.
    EMG's can run on much less power without distortion due to their design. Look it up.

19. fruitlabor

Apr 6, 2007
    Thanks for the info. They do recommend 18volts for emgs pickups and pre together. I do it and see.

20. That's just silly. Why would they say that? The difference between 9V and 18V with two EMG products is the same as with one EMG product. They probably recommend 18V for the best headroom, but it's not required just because you are using active pickups and a preamp.