1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMG GZR P/J set install question - thank you :)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Direct Box Rox, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Direct Box Rox

Direct Box Rox Silence = Deaf

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    I have an LTD Gabe Crisp P bass. It only has two knobs, master volume & pickup blend. I'm interested in buying the EMG GZR P/J set but it looks like it comes with 3 knob controls. Is there a way to still utilize these pickups in my bass? What are my options? Thank you :)

2. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    So you have no tone control?

You can wire these pups anyway you want, and not use the included pots. If you do not want to use the solderless connectors and solder into a custom config with your pots, there is a hole in the plastic connectors that a pin will fit into, and you can slide the plastic connector off revealing what looks like a crimped on ferrule. Solder a lead onto that and slip a piece of shrink tubing over that joint. Or simply snip off the plastic solderless connectors, strip and solder up like any other pup. (But do use the solderless connectors to connect the wires to the pickup lugs.)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    Direct Box Rox likes this.
  3. Yeah, you can use the pickups with whatever scheme you want. There is no need to do anything other than change pickups. Your existing wiring scheme can stay as it is.

Direct Box Rox likes this.
  4. Direct Box Rox

Direct Box Rox Silence = Deaf

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    Thanks guys. Actually, I'm not even sure of the 2nd knob's function. I'd have to ask ESP. I don't know if it's a tone control or a pickup (front vs rear) control. Thank you :)