EMG HZ 35 being stated as active

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Xandrell, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Xandrell

Xandrell

Aug 23, 2014
    Bass manufacturers websites ie Jackson, along with retailers stating the EMG H35 pickups on the Dave Ellefson CBX are active.
    I thought all EMG HZs were passive.

2. The pickups are passive, but the bass has a preamp. Hence, the bass is active.

dalahorse and Frenchy-Lefty like this.
  3. Xandrell

Xandrell

Aug 23, 2014
    But they are stating the pickups are active when they are not.

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

They're probably stating the bass is active which, for all intents and purposes, it is considered an active bass. Most active basses use passive pickups with an active pre-amp. Take the Music Man StingRay, it is considered an active bass but the pickups are passive.

5. Xandrell

Xandrell

Aug 23, 2014
    But MusicMan doesn't list the pickups as active.

6. DiabolusInMusic

And they don't list them as passive either. Manufacturers don't list "active" or "passive" based on the pickups they consider the entire electronics package. Go into any EBMM dealer and ask them if the StingRay is an active bass, every single one of them will tell you it is.

StingRay

line6man likes this.
  7. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    It's confusing to the end user whether a bass has active pickups or just an active preamp. Most users only care if their bass needs a battery or not.

8. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    From the Jackson website: "An earth-shaking pair of EMG HZ35 humbucking pickups..."

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  9. Can you post a link or something?

If it specifically states that the pickups are active, then the information is incorrect. That's all there is to say about the matter.

10. Xandrell

Xandrell

Aug 23, 2014
    Some retailers are using this incorrect info as well. Not their fault. Just FYI

wcriley likes this.
  11. Xandrell

Xandrell

Aug 23, 2014
    Isn't a bass with active pickups and preamp referred to as a fully active circuit, different from one with passive pickups?
    Is it right if a customer asks for an active pickup bass and the salesman said here is an active bass not telling the customer it has passive pickups because he thinks an active preamp makes it an active bass regardless of the pickups?

12. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    By the same token, is it right for a manufacturer to claim a bass has active pickups when it doesn't?
    That is the OP's complaint.

13. DiabolusInMusic

I have never heard a difference in marketing between an active pickup bass and a passive pickup with an active pre-amp bass, they are both always simply referred to as an "active" bass. The only difference would be on the service end which customers wouldn't traditionally see.

I don't think it is correct for a salesman to intentionally give bad information but I don't think most salesman actually know the difference between active pickups or passive pickups with an active pre-amp. Are you going to fault every salesman who explains "underpowering your amp" and how "15s go lower"? I don't think most consumers know the difference either nor do I think they care. Hell, I would be willing to bet a shocking number of techs don't know the difference between active and passive with a pre-amp.

Most customers only care if it is active for the pre-amp, they want the ability to boost as well as cut, or to know whether to use an amp's padded input or not. The only difference this makes is when it comes to aftermarket parts and modifications as it will limit your pickup selection.

Did you buy this bass on the assumption that it had active pickups and you now feel cheated? If so, I can understand your frustrations but, at the end, of the day if it plays great and it sounds great then it is simply great, regardless of it's components.

Gearhead17 likes this.
  14. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    This, right here, is the ultimate Talkbass thread.

15. DavC

DavC

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    if you do some homework ... scroll down thru to 'the electronics ' ... states 'active 3-band EQ '

then , if you'd research at EMG's website ... the 35HZ pups are - Passive ...

i'd never let the babbling ' advert writers' explain tech specs to me ...!

dalahorse and The Nameless like this.
  16. Xandrell

Xandrell

Aug 23, 2014

This is exactly what I did and the reason for posting.
    From the email, It appears they will take care of it.
    Probably won't be able to do anything about the retailers though.

sunnclose1.jpg
    Bryce Wells (Fender)

Jun 24, 14:27 MST

Hello,

Thanks for sharing! I will pass this along to my webteam to correct.

Cheers,

Bryce Wells
    Consumer Relations Representative
    Fender Musical
    Instruments Corp.
    17600 N. Perimeter Dr., Suite 100
    Scottsdale, AZ
    (480) 845-5137
    Fender_Group_Logo__new_.jpg

17. I'm glad that's settled...since there is no such thing as an active pickup.

InhumanResource likes this.
  18. Ellery

Ellery

Mar 25, 2015
    These ads were not written by someone focusing on accurate engineering specs, but someone focusing on separating you from your money. If someone reads that and doesn't know it's wrong, then it probably wouldn't have affected their buying decision anyway because they don't understand what active electronics really are.

dralionux likes this.
  19. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

There ain't ?

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021