1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMG Pickups (in a Spector 6er) - Your thoughts/experience?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dparker88mtl, Mar 30, 2009.

1. dparker88mtl

dparker88mtl

Jun 21, 2008
    Hello all,

I have just recently acquired a Spector Legend 6-String bass, really enjoying it so far. :bassist:
    I won't blab on too much about the specs, as plenty of people here would know about them, but it currently has stock pickups installed, which are EMG-SSD (Stuart Spector Design) passive soapbars, which I am led to believe are fairly similar to EMG-HZs. When I bought the bass, I was also given a brand new, unopened EMG 45CS active pickup, which I am considering installing. The bass sounds pretty good as it is, but from some reading around, I get the impression installing active EMGs will bring a better sound out of the bass.

Installing just the 45CS and keeping the other passive pickup and it's current EQ system would probably be a bit weird and possibly give way to dodgy gain structure, as I imagine the active would provide a lot hotter signal (as well as having a different impedance), especially if I run it off an 18V supply, as most people recommend. So I've been thinking about buying another pickup, either another 45CS, or a 45DC and seeing what position I want each pickup in for the best range of sound. Apparently the 45CS has slightly warmer tone, compared to the 45DC which has a bit more high end. Personally I like what is relatively (to other bassists I know/have seen play/hear on recordings) more trebley, clean sound, though of course with enough low end to keep things going. :-D

I was wondering if anyone else here have basses with active EMGs installed they can comment on, have replaced their pickups with EMGs, or have any other experience/thoughts with EMGs. EMG haters steer clear please, unless of course you have constructive comments to make. :p

2. takfar

takfar

Dec 21, 2008
    I've a pair of 40DCs, and while I like them, I want to try out a 40CS in the neck position for a slightly softer tone in the neck pup. Overall, great pups, huge volume; bridge DC can have a bite like a mad angry possessed evil hateful hungry rabid pitbull dog (OK, maybe I went a lil overboard in the description), even when clean, and especially when overdriven a bit.

3. eekmeg

eekmeg

Aug 15, 2008
    Texas
    I've got a Spector 6 with EMG TW's in it. They sound awesome. Lots of power and plenty of versatility. I love how they interact with my effects and my amp. They were an acquired taste at first, but now, I love them. I also put an EMG P in a P Bass. It completely changed the sound of the bass. I eventually went with a Nordstrand P pickup instead, but I still have the EMG for when I need it.

4. dparker88mtl

dparker88mtl

Jun 21, 2008
    Cheers for the responses guys... I'm currently looking around for prices in Australia for a 45DC and a BQC control system, probably be around $400 bucks for both, but I imagine it'd be worth it. The current config is Vol/Tone - Vol/Tone... not a big fan, I prefer Vol, Blend and EQ.

I saw a video from one of the members here of a DC in the bridge, didn't sound too bad, but since the pickups have quick connectors, I might as well try both configs and see what I prefer.

I was considering a TW too, but I'm probably more angled to a DC, plus I'd need to drill a hole for a switch I imagine (which I don't want to resort to).

5. Well, there are such things as 25kOhm push-pull pots for such a purpose, Which would act as your volume knob as well as a coil-splitter type thing.

6. takfar

takfar

Dec 21, 2008
    how complicated would it be to have a 40TW + 40DC + BQC System installed...? is it too much?

7. dparker88mtl

dparker88mtl

Jun 21, 2008
    Good point ignited wings, didn't consider that. Haven't done much electronics work for a while. :p

@takfar, considering what ignited wings just said, it wouldn't really be too complicated.

The only thing I'm concerned about is re-drilling the holes to fit the two concentric pots in the BQC, but it would probably be a fairly safe operation, probably only a matter of a millimetre or two... and that I have to find better knobs. :p

The only luthier I know around here, while having a rep for quality work, also has a rep for massive turnarounds (probably due to a large workload)... the guitarist in my old band has had a guitar in there for a minor paint touch-up for over a year, and one of my mates in another band had to wait six-weeks or something for a tremolo setup.

I'll probably ring up stores tomorrow for quotes on the 45DC and BQC and see what I'll do from there. Cheers everyone. :D