1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMG QUESTION

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DGbass70, Mar 23, 2006.

1. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    OK guys this is my dilema....
    i own a SPECTOR EURO5 with EMG 40DC both bridge and neck possition.....
    sometimes i feel there's a lot of highs not enough lows...

here's the question if i replace the neck one with a EMG 40CS will it make it better?

thanks for info and advice....

2. TheBrad

TheBrad Baby step bassist - 90% n00b

Jan 16, 2006
    Mountain View,CA
    I would just install the EMG 40 TWs, because then you have the DC and CS pickups in one casing with a push/pull pot for each pickup depending on what mode you want to use.

3. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    i see....thanks

keep them coming..

4. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Actually, the 40TW is a 40J/40CS in one casing, nothing to do with the DC.

I put the CS in the bridge position of one of my Spectors to fix this very problem, and it sounds amazing! Go for it!

5. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET...thanks

1 last question...does it fit perfectly(same size as the 40dc)?:bassist: :bassist:

6. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist

Yep, all the Extended EMG Pickups rated 40 will fit the same cavities and are interchangeable...same with the 35s and 45s respectively, all 35s are interchangeable with each other, as are the 45 series.

7. TheBrad

TheBrad Baby step bassist - 90% n00b

Jan 16, 2006
    Mountain View,CA
    Wow, guess I misread that. Now I am kinda glad I've "settled" for the Barts.

8. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    When I purchsed my Spector euro, I took out the tone pump pre and one of the EMG 40 dc pups (it had two of them, I took out the one in the bridge position). The 40 DC is an awesome neck pick- up, but I feel its too bright for the bridge. And as far as the original eq, I did not like the way the tone pump sounded (I know its part of the "Spector sound"), it did not do the bass justice. Anyway I put an EMG 40 TW in the bridge and installed the EMG BQS system. All dials are + or - 12DB of boost.
    treble ( with 4 position dip switches)
    bass ( Shelved at 50 hz)
    midrange (with frequency selector dial)
    volume ( when pulled out it splits the bridge pick-up for a jazz configuration
    blend knob
    18v. pre amp
    OMG this bass kicks major ass over any American stock Spector. So many options, so much versitlity. You can get everything from a Jaco sound, to the "Spector sound." (well, almost)

9. Pete skjold

Pete skjold Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2004
    Warsaw Ohio
    The CS stand for ceramic and steel and they do sound much warmer .

Pete

10. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    now did you guy say change the bridge one not the neck one?
    wow i'm glad i like to read things twice..
    i thought changing the neck one would do the trick:confused:

thank you guys...i want to try this out.

11. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    how about wiring, is it any different?
    i know EMG'S have that quick connect feature..
    can i do it myself or does it take re-wiring and pot changing and all that tec stuff?

12. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    The CS is much mellower than the DC. The DC is harsh and agressive. I also think that the Tonepump's add only feature doesn't give you much versatility. I know the concept of this system is to balance the volume of each P/U, but I did not like that.

13. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    i hear some people with the same opinon about tone pump...

i've been contemplating an AGUILAR OBP-1

14. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Like the Tone Pump, it's boost only...

...I like the BQC, have that in both my Korean Spectors...

...and yes, the bridge pickup is the one to switch...as said by Pete, the DC is a KILLER neck pickup, but doesn't work well at all in the bridge spot, at least to my ear...there have been a few who have gone neck-CS and bridge-DC, but I replaced the DC at the bridge because the highs were just too harsh...

...if you go to another active single-mode EMG 40 pickup, you can just swap it out, it's a three pin connector...you'll have to do some saudering with the dual mode TW though, it requires a 7 pin connector.

15. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    i see....i'll have to read about the BQC then....it really looks like i'll be buying a 40CS..
    REV....thanks so much for the info.

16. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    NEtime man, let us know how things work out!

17. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    i will............:bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

18. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    well i'm back....
    i still have some questions..
    by doing this dc/cs swap (bridge) will i still have same clarity,sustain,Spector sound, and a kick a** bass tone?

by the way ,looks like i might have to order this pick up
    since none of the local music stores has it.
    which is a good place to get it from(online ordering)?

thanks again....

19. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I think most of the improvement in my Spectors sound has come from the EQ that was put in. ARe you going to be using the Tone Pump?

20. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    i was thinking about keeping the tone pump and just changing the pick up but i'm not sure which direction to go at this point.

i do like the sound of the bass i just feel i need i little bit more bass..

thanks