Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG: Select Vs. HZ

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sargebaker, Oct 27, 2004.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    FOr Christmas as some of you may know I'll be swapping the pickups out and I had decided on EMG. My bass is a passive Aria 4 string. I checked at my store and the HZ's are 230 bux :eek: I was searchin' the net to see if any sites had them for cheaper (that ship to Canada) and all I've found so far are some EMG Selects (which I've never heard of and don,T see on their site) from Stew Mac. My question is are they any good? it's only $45.00 for the set it seems so I imagine they are budget line pickups...

Also, if any of you know any online sites that sell EMG HZ's could you post a link please. I've checked a few places but I'm not very familiar with online shopping.

Thanks,
    Baker

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The Selects are EMG's crap foreign make for cheap basses. They certainly won't be any better than the pickups your Aria came with. Not worth the bother, IMO.

3. LowEbandit

LowEbandit

Aug 11, 2004
    NWPhx
    $230 for a pair of EMG-HZ's is ***WAY TOO*** :eek: expensive. I have them, they came stock in my Schecter custom 5, and I really don't care for them - way too twangy - so I'm changing them out for Duncan ASB-2 series pickups and those are $229 and they are top of the line pickups. I would personally avoid them, as they are the bottom line passive pickups from EMG.
    Hope this helped.
    LEB

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    dguitarparts.com will order you anything you want, and they have great prices. You'll have to email/call them, Lynn there is very helpful.

5. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    Would you suggest Dimarzio Model P/ Model J instead? They do seem alot easier to find (not to mention cheaper)

HTML:
    dguitarparts.com will order you anything you want, and they have great prices. You'll have to email/call them, Lynn there is very helpful.
    Thanks Mr. Wilson! checkin' that out now.

6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I own both of these pickups.

I have had the P/J EMG Selects in my '90 BC Rich since new. I have no complaints with them. They seem to have a somewhat traditional EMG hi-fi sound but with a little more warmth or darker tone.

I have the HZs in a Schecter Elite 4 with onboard electronics. The HZs sound pretty good as well although definately different from the Selects. They have a brighter sound that works well for slap but still has a nice "round" overall tone. You can check out some samples of the Hzs here:Samples
    Just listen to the preamps. The others all have effects on them. I wish I had done the same with the Selects before I pulled them out :( Sorry.

To some it all up, I like them both and wouldn't hesitate buying a set of either. I admit however, I just recently bought EMG actives :D

7. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Dude, I think he's talking $230 Canadian... in the ball park. About $180 US right now. The Duncans you're talking would be about $285.

I like the HZs in my Fretless, replaced them with DCs in my fretted. cost $250 plus PST and GST...Canadian OC.

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Skip over both and find a set of either DCs, or Seymour Duncan/Basslines pickups. I'm EXTREMELY pleased with my basslines in my ESP, good good sound and tone overall.
    Hardest thing to replace in a bass, IMO, are the pickups, due to the fact that you really can't "go out and try them", as every bass has different qualities. If you can, find a bass that's *very* similar to yours with different pickups in it, and see which one you like the best. This is one good thing I found out that makes Guitar Center come in handy, they've a lot of used gear that has been modded as such, so many times you can find what you're looking for, generally. If this can't be done, well, search for more clips of these pickups.

Ray

9. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    Thanks guys. Yeah that's 230 Canadian. What are DC's? I don't really want SD/Basslines, I'll either choose the DiMarzios or the EMG HZ's. From what I've read I'll stay away form the Selects.

Keep the good advice comin'
    Thanks

10. +1 I've gotten all my EMG pups from them. Great people.

11. LowEbandit

LowEbandit

Aug 11, 2004
    NWPhx
    Sorry bout that, didn't pay attention to the Canadian part....Well still if you're going to get EMG's, trust me, stay away from the HZ's. They are the bottom of the barrel passive pickups from EMG and sound pretty sterile. Unless you really like that kind of tone. If you're set on going with EMG's, I would (and was going to) go with the EMG DC's, they were my first choice until I heard the SD Basslines. Just my personal opinion though, we all have different tastes in tone.
    Hope that helps......
    LEB

12. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    I'm sorry but what are the DC pickups? are you talking about the Active extended pups: http://emginc.com/displayproducts.asp?section=Bass&categoryid=27&catalogid=75 if so my bass is passive and I don't want to turn it active and those pups are neither P pups nor J pups (and I don't intend on sawing my bass up to fit those soapbars in)

13. LowEbandit

LowEbandit

Aug 11, 2004
    NWPhx
    Whoops, my bad, I didn't realise I was pointing you to the soapbars....doing that alot lately....The HZ's are the ONLY model passive pickups that they sell, but really, take my word for it, you want to stay away from them. Very tinny and sterile sounding. There are plenty of other options out there, like you said, look into the DiMarzio's. Have you heard the Duncan basslines pickups? I'm suprised you don't like them, they seem to be the choice for most bassists these days, them and EMG's but all the EMG's are active and you said you don't want that.
    Good luck,
    LEB

14. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    Hey I figured I'd ask this question here, as opposed to starting a new thread (I searched but didn't find anything) Are the DiMarzio Split P and the Model 1 DP146 both passive? Can they be combined with say a Model J or ultrajazz? I would assume not but I'm curious, they look like pretty interesting pickups. I'm sorry if theese are dumb questions, I don't know a whole lot about pickups but thank you all for your help!

15. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I haven't seen Dimarzio do any active pickups for bass. You CAN combine the different models, obviously results (i.e. how well they balance, the overall sound) may vary. Their matched P/J set is very good.

16. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    Thanks again Dave, What would be the worst that could happen if say the pups didn't ballance well? noise? different volumes? Although I know it's probably better to go with the set and is most likely what I'll do.

17. Also not a fan of the HZ's I got rid of my korean spector after a week because they didn't really do anything for me.