1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMG wiring help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Nihujasebe, May 13, 2011.

1. Nihujasebe

Nihujasebe

Oct 6, 2009
    Hey guys. I recently got a pair of EMG DC-40 installed, the old ones that should be soldered. I used this diagram http://www.sonic.net/~emgman/pdf/2%20EMG%202v%202t.pdf and everything's soldered just as on the diagram (double checked), but neither volumes nor tones work. I get the sound from the pickups, but pots just don't seem to change anything at all. What could it be?

2. Tommorichards

Tommorichards

Mar 22, 2011
    Because that diagram shows the pickups to be wired to ground, shorting any signal they have.

I think line6man should have a diagram

3. If the pots are having little effect on the signal, it's possible that their values are too high for the low output impedance of the pickups.

What value pots and caps did you use?

Do they work when rolled all the way down?

4. ?

It looks fine to me, and the OP has stated that he gets sound from the pickups.

5. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    That diagram is right. Don't forget the pickups have coax shielded cables. The shields are solder to ground, not the center conductor.

My guess is that the pots are not grounded. That would stop them from working.

6. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Why does the capacitor go from the tone pot to the volume pot? Don't shoot me, I'm just asking a question.....

7. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    It's just a way to save using an extra wire. The other way to wire a tone pot is to run a wire from the volume pot, and then solder one end of the cap to ground, and the other end to the pot's lug.

8. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    ok I gotcha... makes sense now, thanks

9. Nihujasebe

Nihujasebe

Oct 6, 2009
    All the pots, wires and stuff i used came in the package with p-ups, so i guess they're ok. And no, they don't work even rolled down. Btw, the sound i get has little highs, like the tones are completely off.

10. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Are the pots grounded to the same ground as the output jack?

11. Nihujasebe

Nihujasebe

Oct 6, 2009
    Yes, they are. In fact it's really confusing. Btw, if i solder pups conductor straight to the output jack skipping all the pots, will it work, just in case?

12. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    that diagram is correct, so if yours don't work, then by definition you didn't solder it "just as on the diagram".

can you post pictures? that would help us pinpoint what's wrong.

13. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Are you getting sound now and the pots don't work, or you aren't getting sound?

14. Nihujasebe

Nihujasebe

Oct 6, 2009
    Yes, I'm getting sound, and pots don't work. The sound is like the tone's rolled off all the way down.

15. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    It sounds like the tone pot is shorting to ground. This sometimes happens if the control cavity is lined with shielding foil or paint, and the control has rotated and touched the shielding.

The volume control not working means that its ground is not attached, or that it's wired wrong.

Something is not wired correctly, or there are shorts.

If you unscrew the pick guard and lift it up, do the control work?

16. Nihujasebe

Nihujasebe

Oct 6, 2009
    The ground on the volume is soldered okay. I tried to lift the pots up, but still they won't work. Although when i put em back, i noticed slight volume change, if i roll the volume about 20% off.

17. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    You didn't over heat the pots when soldering?

18. Nihujasebe

Nihujasebe

Oct 6, 2009
    Well, the process took just a few seconds, but since i used an old soviet iron (fail, i know), i could have. How do i check?