Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

emgs doesnt make the 45tw!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by iplay4-5, Jul 28, 2005.

1. iplay4-5

iplay4-5 Guest

Feb 4, 2004
    rockford, IL
    whats up w/ that i went to thee music store today looking for some emg 45tw's n they told me that they dont make them anymore *** man????

2. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I been waiting 5 months for EMG 40TWs...you'd think they didn't make them anymore either...

3. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    You have to special order them now. They aren't an off the shelf model anymore. They didn't market them well, they really lack in marketing.

4. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    and it takes it takes 6+ months to make them? C'mon...though I think the fault here is probably with the Regional distrubutor, and not so much with EMG...Rick has been great!

5. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I agree. I am an EMG artist and it takes me 2 months to get something. The TW is being made for Spector and a few other manufacturers. It's a tough pickup world out there.

6. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Hmmm...I wonder then if I could arrange to get one through PJ?

7. radmin

radmin

Jun 23, 2006
    Columbus, Oh
    Mine took two months. They are made when you order them.
    The instructions suck. They give you an instruction book for guitar pickups.

The "quick connect" connector isn't keyed so I ended up putting it on backwards. You should see an arrow when it's right. A wiring diagram would be nice. I'd like to go parallel when in dual coil mode. Dual coil is a lot louder so I'm guessing the default is series like on the HZs.

8. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Yeh, it ships with the book for the EMG 89 dual mode GUITAR pickup...I pointed out to them that the tone set up is usually not the same on guitars as bass, so the diagram wouldn't help the amatuer/layperson who's wiring it up...they sent me a diagram wiring one to a BT tone circuit, I can dig it up if anyone needs it, it's in .pdf format. Hopefully, they'll soon provide a bass specific dual mode handbook/spec sheet...

9. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    The TW is the same as a CS when in dual mode, which I'm pretty sure is parallel, not series...

Edit: this is from the EMG FAQ, it's for the 89, but the TW is the bass version of it, so it's the same principle:
    this doesn't answer the series/parallel, per se, but I'm willing to be corrected if they're wired in series and not parallel...either way, they sound great in my opinion!

10. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I emailled EMG about this a while back as I wanted some tech questions answered. They seemed to indicate that the CS is series. They also said both O/P's could be used simultaneously and were unclear as to whether there were two different pickups in the same housing, or that they buffered at the midpoint as well as the top of the series coil (my guess).

11. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Well, I had to e-mail Rick at EMG anyways about some Vintage Js I want to put in my Spector NS4JCR, so I asked him about that as well, we'll see what he sez!

12. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada

heard back from Rick, here's his response:

So, there you have it!

13. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Well, Rick hasn't made one yet, but he sent me a diagram for the MMTW he drew up...actually two! Anyone interested can e-mail me at andrew.jacksonsmith@gmail.com and I'll send it to them, or I'll try to figure out how to post them here...this is going to be a popular pickup, the TW, sounds PHENOMENAL in my fretless at the bridge spot coupled with a J at the neck...so sweet...
    :bassist: