Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Emgs... noob question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BassMan257, Jan 31, 2006.

1. allright, when everybody says "EMG's" what pickup do they mean? i mean, i know EMG makes them.. but are you talking about a soapbar? a jbass set? the p bass? or the pj set?

Im looking to drop a pj set of SOMETHING into this bass

[​IMG]

im looking for a deep sound, good lows, nice highs, not neccisarily no mids, but they just arent as important as a really deep sound... just something with alot of booty...

and yes, I would like to stay within the p/j bass relm.. not really into soapbars... no matter how good they sound.. theyve allways been a turnoff to me...

anywho.. thanks for your help... and if you know of other sets of pickups that would fit my bill, feel free to suggest... just dont argue... lol

2. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    EMG is a BRAND of pickup. they have pickups that have an internal and shielded preamp, which is quite cool but will need a battery. EMG pickups (the ones ive tried so far) are usually bright sounding.

EMG produces P shaped pickups, J shaped pickups, as well as soapbars. they even have P windings in J shaped pickups, and both kind of windings in soapbars.

note that EMGs dont mix well with other pickups. at least for most applications. id say use a EMG P with an EMG J. EMG sells a set like this for a 4-stringer. thats my call.

go to the website and poke around.

3. basste

basste

Oct 8, 2003
    France
    well.. i have used PJ EMG kit, without preamp. it sound very clean. Punchy; deep low, but clean. HI fi sound style for me.
    So i switched for barts, becaus i'm most in the medium sound...
    If you want, i've made some soundclips here:

http://le.ste.free.fr/Stejazz_soundclip/

the three first are made with EMG PJ kit, and the next with the barts, directly in my Boss BR532 with the most flat eq i can.

4. lol... i listend to them.. i cant tell much of a difference... kinda sad isnt it... I think ill just go with the EMG's... does anyone know where i can get some?

lol.. sorry

5. ok... so here comes another problem... what kind of electronics should i use?

will something simple work fine? or do you all reccomend active elctronics... you know, the ones that emg makes with the chip board and everything...

i would like to stay away from really expensive stuff.. i basically want a blend, a volume, and a tone... so kinda a pickup selector and a tone and a volume... it actually would be quite cool to have a toggle switch... like an on/on/on... hmm. will have to think about that..

EDIT: i realized that wouldnt be good.. what about dual consentric pots? would that work? or would i need a dual consentric and a blend? I just think it would look nice if there werent knobs all over it....

but yes, passive is really what im looking for, if this is not possible with the emg's... im going to have to save a bit..

well thanks for the help, and if no one posts here i guess ill just have to start a new thread...

6. basste

basste

Oct 8, 2003
    France
    EMG are only active, but you can use them without préamp, with a traditionnal jazzbass wiring (vol/vol/ton). It make the ousnd your hear in my soundclips.
    For passive, perhaps Barts, or Seymour Duncan... :)

7. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Sorry but that is incorrect.

EMG makes the HZ and Select series which are both passive pickups.

8. please give me an example elctroinc hookup that would work.. thats not acive... with the regular emg j/p set... cause shelling out 300 dollars for pickups and an electronics set is kinda... um alot to me... will just normal pots and stuff work? thats all im wondering....

9. Aslan

Aslan

Sep 20, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks Basste! It was very interesting. I really liked the EMG sound. Have you tried the SD Quarter Pounders? What do you think about them? I have a Warwick Fortress One and I like to change the pick-ups.

10. basste

basste

Oct 8, 2003
    France
    kelly lee > for active EMG, i would only talk about PJ kit. If there is Hz PJ kit, i've never seen them :p

bassman 257 > When you buy the EMG PJ kit, it is compete with pots already wired. You just have to instal pickups and make two or three solder between pots pre-wired and pickups. you add a 9V battery and ready to play... (with the vol/vol/tone on three pots)

aslan > thanks !!! i have never try duncans, just one time heard it. i found it between EMG and Barts but i couldn't say much, i never tried it by myself on a sufficient lapse of time..

11. sweet.. but do you think someone here would be able to tell me how to get a volume/selector/tone setup wired?

12. basste

basste

Oct 8, 2003
    France
    sorry but i can't. i'm a complete sucker in electronic. :(

13. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    -ACTIVE-
    [​IMG]

-PASSIVE-
    [​IMG]

-PASSIVE-
    [​IMG]

Now you know! :D

Anyways Bassman...for wiring up a set with a switch. Look at this .pdf file and you should be able to figure it out. This is for the HZ series put the actives use the same wiring so it should work. Check out Diagram 7 as it looks to be what your looking for. http://www.emgpickups.com/downloads/wiringdiagrams/EMGHZ-35-40-45.pdf

14. basste

basste

Oct 8, 2003
    France
    cool !!! thanks kelly :D

15. couple questions...

whats with the select series? just dont know what there for if they arent passive or active...

also, i was really looking for a pickup selector pot... so i could blend them together... would this work with the same diagram as the switch, but just change it to a pot?

just wondering

16. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    The Selects are are pups designed by EMG but made outside of the USA. They are passive like the HZ series.

I think you should be able to just swap it to a pot but I'm not 100% sure.

17. well, if thats possible, do you think i could do a concentric pot thing? like 2 consentrics, one volume and pickups, and the other is the tone of each pickup?

man... this could get ugly.. Its just cause i only want 2 knobs... it would look alot nicer...