Emo, Punk, Ska???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RicPlaya, Aug 5, 2005.

1. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    What gives with these silly names for these genres of music. I'm not sure I even heard a Ska song or Emo for that matter. If it's anything like modern punk then I don't really care for it.

What is Emo and Ska anyway?

Is it me or is music just getting simple and repetitive? This electronic stuff is really repetitive and grooveless, this new punk movement has nothing on the oldschool stuff and it seems like an easy cop out of learning thoery. And now there's music styles popping up by the week that all these young people are flocking to that I have no idea what the hell it is?

Someone fill me in I feel like an old fart?
  2. Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Ska had a big hay-day back in the 90s. Never heard of the Mighty Mighty Bosstones? I think they sort of fronted that movement when it came on MTV. Ska has been since the 70s I suppose or even earlier with The Specials. Even if you're an old fart you should have heard of this unless you're a really, really old fart. Emo has all been around since the early 90s. Grudge at the time was just the bigger movement with big radio play. Maybe you've heard of Fugazi or Rites of Spring?
  3. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    You've definitely heard a Ska song. The Specials? Madness?
  4. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Do a search or go to allmusic.com.

This has all been covered a billion times over.
  5. MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    Madness, Skinnerbox, Checkmate, Fishbone, even some older No Doubt songs are Ska style.
  6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Ska has been around since the late 1950's. During it's real hayday, 1960-1966, it was big in Jamaica AND the UK...it had little exposure in the US. It's an uptempo combination of Mento, Calypso, Jazz and American Soul.

The 'second coming' of Ska was in the late seventies and early 80's. This is generally known as Two-Tone ska, because the biggest label for it at the time was Two-Tone records, owned by the Specials, and distributed by Chrysalis. There WERE others labels doing it too...Go Feet records was operated by the English Beat, and of course, the other 'big daddy' Brit group was Madness. Lots of 2-tone era ska is redone versions of Jamaican originals...that weren't credited.

The 'Third Wave' became big in the mid-90's, but most of the bands were playing back in the mid-eighties and before. It was cult music that was below the cultural radar at the time. By the Mid-90's it tended to be harder and faster, thanks to the influence of seminal bands like Operation Ivy (members went on to start Rancid) and the Bosstones (with or without the mighties, which they added later on) who combined that ska beat with punk and hardcore.
  7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

No Doubt WERE a full fledged ska band for quite a while. They had releases on Moon Records (later Moon NYC)...they were also known as the *worst* band in the scene and in the Moon stable at the time. If you can get your hands on the compilation LP 'Skaface' from that era, you'll hear what I'm talkin' about.