1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

emulating Rhodes

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by L.kan, Oct 14, 2013.

1. L.kan

L.kan

Jan 18, 2009
    Hi,

my Bass can sound like an Organ, Minimoog, or Guitar...

But how can I make it sound like a fender Rhodes?

Which effect combination would do it?

Best.

L

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Nothing, as far as I'm aware. A keyboard instrument is likely required.

3. nope. no effect i've ever heard can make a string sound like a tone bar. i think your best bet would be some kind of "guitar midi controller" to a synth with a rhodes sound. I know Nord synths do a good Rhodes sound, NI has a good software emulation.

mL84zBTditcdWpJ8RKdZWZA.

durand_bass_strings_01_1.

4. X8X

X8X

Aug 30, 2011
    As others said it would be very hard to obtain a similar sound starting from a bass, I agree that your best bet is probably going the MIDI route.

Synths aren't that expensive if you aren't looking for top quality, for example you can get some very convincing rhodes and electric pianos out of 80's FM Synths like the Yamaha DX-7 (I have a rack-mounted version, the TX-81Z, which is very similar and sounds nice, and I got it for 80$).

On the other hand if you want to control it directly from the bass the MIDI pickups aren't that cheap, I think the cheapest are the BOSS GK3b and you'll need some kind of interface for it (GR20, GR55, GI20) for around 300$, or otherwise you could get a Sonuus B2M for around 90$ but it doesn't support polyphony and from the comments I've seen around it doesn't track that well.

A couple of years ago I was tired of trying to get synth-like sounds out of effects and I got myself a cheap 25 key USB controller (there's a boatload of free VST effects if you want to experiment without shelling out cash first), then a full 61 key keyboard and nowadays I play piano more than bass :p

5. or one of these if you can find one.
    Rhodes_Piano_Bass.

6. pkstone

pkstone

Apr 13, 2011
    Sacramento
    Even a lot of keyboards don't do Fender Rhodes very well, in my opinion (the Nord being a notable exception). They always seem to go for that horrible, glinky, over-bright "Dyno-my" sound that made 70s and 80s pop so insufferable. A good "natural" Rhodes sound (with that enharmonic "bark" on fff notes) is hard to imitate, and a very cool sound.

7. Slade N

Slade N Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    portland, or
    I believe Roscoe Beck used to tap parts with a rotovibe effect to get somewhere in that direction

8. L.kan

L.kan

Jan 18, 2009
    Thank you for your replys.

Of course a bass will never be a Rhodes.
    MIDI would only seem half the fun for me.:bag:

I'll take the rotovibe approach as starting point.
    Getting to tap, and getting to use my neglected line 6 rotomachine.
    The trick should be to set the breaking point of an overdrive.

It won't exactly be Rhodes, but it might come close enough.
    ...At some point in my life I want to own the real thing.

9. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    I recommend the Roland GR-55,
    lots of cool effects, guitar, bass and analog synth modeling,
    as well as 2 independant PCM synths each with 910 tones (including Rhodes).

10. wrench45us

wrench45us

Aug 26, 2011
    https://www.applied-acoustics.com/loungelizard/overview/

LoungeLizard EP
    is a vsti software emulation for use via MIDI into a host (DAW)
    This is a very nice emulation, lots of options, great sound.

But to get a good Rhodes emulation you need a good keyboard with a decent touch, not a cheap spring feel most people start with and practice.

wouldn't know how to get there from a bass

11. Use round wound strings..

Play harmonics nearly exclively..through a Phase shifter or tremolo with a slower beat?