end-pin siezing

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by chrismmc, Oct 25, 2004.

1. :help: Last winter the humidity cause the wood in my DB to expand,which caused the end-pin to seize-up,rendering it unadjustible.Any tips to fix it when it inevitably happens again?or measures I can take to avoid it happening again?Or should I just use a rubber mallet and some WD40?
  2. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    well, we all have humidity issues but we don't all have that endpin issue. Is your endpin of good quality? Is it in good working condition?

Also I would be careful with WD-40 near the varnish of the bass
  3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Doesn't wood dry out and contract in the winter?
  4. Yes it does based on my experiences in building furniture. I don't think it would be possible for wood to swell as it loses moisture.
  5. The end-pin is in good working condition otherwise.It just seems to seize up in the winter...I keep it it the basement where it is more damp...the bass is plywood,and the end-pin is steel.Would this change anything?My teacher knows about it,and did'nt seem too concerned,or suprised.Since winter is coming,it is bound to happen again in a month or two...
  6. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Endpin seizures are a bummer. When it happens to me I quickly stuff my wallet in the f-hole so the bass doesn't swallow its bridge...
  7. :confused: I have no idea what you mean... :confused:
  8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    It's an epilepsyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy asd
    s[gihja [pg

Ahem, sorry.

9. ...oh!...hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!...I still don't get it... :eyebrow:
  10. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I know that you're in Canada and all, but I can't possibly type any more slowly for you.
  11. Eric_J

Eric_J Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Flower Mound, TX. USA

When someone is having an epelictic (sp - Dsylexic) seisure, the first thing to do is to ensure they do not swallow their tounge, so they'll continue to breath. Breathing is a good thing.

An aside, in high school, we were playing Handle's Mesaiah for the winter concert (OK I was in high school so long ago that we could do sacred music) with the 100 person choir and either the band or orchestra (band for the 2:00pm and orchestra for the 5:00pm) and one of the French horn players had an epelictic seisure. An oboe player, and boy scout, knew exaclty what to do. The heat of the 200 kids required for the performance and the packed audence may have triggered the seisure, and honking away on the Mesaiah. I think I was singing that performance. I did it serveral years, once in choir, two times playing tuba in band and once on tuba in orchestra as well as once on double bass in orchestra.
  12. oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    I've had problems with the endpin getting stuck, I think because the cheap wood leaves bits on the steel. My long term solution, once my luthier has some free time, is to replace my crappy cello-esque end pin with a nice tubular one. the short-term solution thats working quite well, on my teachers advice, was to rub a candle on the steel pin, leaving a very fine wax lubicrant.
  13. ok thanks!I will have to do someting before winter so either my car's apolstry,or myself get impaled.

I get the joke now...sorry-I am a bit slow today!