Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

End pin troubles

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by fatdawg, Jan 31, 2005.

1. fatdawg

fatdawg

Sep 7, 2004
    Check it. I think this belongs here. I have a Hildebrandt 3/4 and love it except that lately I cannot get the end pin to stay locked where I want it. It keeps retracting while I am playing. Is it the bolt that needs replacing or what am I doing wrong.

Help

f

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    IF the endpin has some sort of positive stop, like grooves cut in the pin, it is sometimes tricky to get seated correctly.

I have found that partially tightening the pin will allow you to feel the setscrew fall in the groove when you move it.

It is certainly possible that you are doing everything right and the pin simply doesn'twork right.

3. Once you find the groove, take a Sharpie permanent marker and mark the shaft where it enters the body. After doing that, finding the right spot is simple.

4. fatdawg

fatdawg

Sep 7, 2004
    yeah the pin is grooved to catch the bolt I assume. I have tried tightening the bolt both by hand and with a pair of channel locks to get it tight enough, I know the the bolt caught the groove and yet it always does this.
    Do you think I have to replace the pin/bolt

F

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

You shouldn't have to tighten it that much to make it work correctly. If it requires pliers to prevent it from slipping, you get tired of carrying around a pair every time you carry the bass out.

You may just want to get a good endpin put in the bass. A nice pin is like nice pair of shoes, you don't really know what you are missing until you've tried one.

I have the KC Strings endpin and I love it. I have installed them in both basses I have owned. My teacher has them in both of his. It is a very high quality pin with excellent performance and ease of use. The Goetz pin is also very nice and somewhat of a standard for the industry.

I'd recommend something with a standard 10 mm pin so future considerations like a wheel or bent pin or other would not be a problem.

6. fatdawg

fatdawg

Sep 7, 2004
    Thank you, this is excellent. Before I go webbing, is there a place to find these that I should go straight to?

Thank you again

F

7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

I'd highly recommend doing a little local shopping and having a shop fit the pin. They are not universal.

Typically, the charge will be minimal as it is fairly easily fitted with the proper tool. But without it, it is very difficult. And, if the pin doesn't fit correctly, it is a fairly serious risk to your bass.

8. fatdawg

fatdawg

Sep 7, 2004
    Well, then.. I thank you. I guess I should start callin around cuz right now I am at my end with this.

Thank you so much

f

9. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    You, poor, poor, non-mechanical people.

The way to set an end pin is this: Put the screw in its groove. As you (hand) tighten the screw, twist the end pin and continue tightening and twisting until there is no more tightening to do. What this does is allow the screw to fiind the lowest point in the groove -- the spot where the screw will seek to be, anyhow.

10. fatdawg

fatdawg

Sep 7, 2004
    i shall try this technique.

thank you

11. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    It's possible that you have your current pin so munched-out that it won't work right any more -- or that it was a real loser from the start. If this technique doesn't work on this pin, use it on the new one.

12. fatdawg

fatdawg

Sep 7, 2004
    nah, see that is the weird thing the dang pin looks brand new. No visible wear at all not even from me wrenchin down with channel locks. I don't know maybe I just have crap for gear. Bass is at my rehearsal studio now so I won't see it until tommorrow. But I will try twisting the post while I tighten the screw. Man that would be sweet if it were something simple.

F