Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Endorsed by Gibson, but played Fender?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by FenderHotRod, May 30, 2005.

1. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    The wife and I went to a show here in Little Rock awhile back. It was at a club, and the guy was playing a Fender.

A Cherry burst with P-style pickups in the neck and bridge. Oh man it was a sexy bass. Anyway after the show I asked him what year was the bass he said it was an early '80's bass. I tryed not to bother him to much because he was packing everything up and I was about 2 sheets to the wind. :)

To the main question- I said "I saw you playing a Gibson Thunderbird in video you guys did." his response was "yeah im endorsed by gibson" my response to that was "oh realy cool". Then I just let him be. But I was realy thinking then why are you playing a Fender if your endorsed by gibson?

So if you are Endorsed by one company why would you be playing another competitors Instrument Live?

2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    That is wierd. I am endorsed by Spector and Eden and I signed waivers stating I will not play another manufacturer in a live/public eye setting. Other companies may have different policies.

3. Sorry to be picky here but isnt it the case the the artist endorses the product not the other way around?

4. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Yes, that is correct. A company does not "endorse" an artist. The artist endorses, and uses, a company's equipment. Therefore the company "uses" the artist as an advertisement enticing others to investigate their gear, and hopefully purchase some as well.

Companies do not endorse or sponsor artists. I am an endorsee of both Godin and Thomastik-Infeld. As such I use their products. As such they sometimes find me gigs (like NAMM shows), clinics, PR opportunities etc. They also offer me special price reductions on their products (truth be told...nothing is given away free anymore!). As a professional bassist I endorse their products (and I did merley by using them prior to being contacted by these company's artist relations people..).
    And yes, with TI I have a contract which states I use their strings exclusively. With strings and such, perhaps even with amps, this is common. Not a common deal with basses tho as mostr players play a variety of differing instruments, and to force a player to only play a particular brand would be quite limiting and inapproriate.

Just to set things straight...

Max

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Here are my stipulations on my deals: If I'm still paying for the product, then it's not exclusive. It may sound harsh, but that's how it is. Also, some people only play the endorsed products on TV or in the press, but when it comes to regular gigs, they play whatever they like at the time. I have deals, but I also have a Sadowsky. You think that's gonna sit home this tour? My deal states that as long as I play the bass in at least 40% of the show, then it's all good. I'm am able to play my Sadowsky AND honor my committments at the same time. Honoring the agreement is key for me. As for amps, I'm a one woman man, and that woman is GK! :hyper: :bassist:

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Are you sure? ;)

7. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Do you get endorsed by/endorse a product?

Does the company find you, or do you call the company?

Thanks,
    ~JB~

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
  9. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    You get the point.

10. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    Thanks guys...I just thought it kind of weird.

11. Woodchuck, your on the Deanwebsite..........i thought it was pretty cool considering Im a fan of you and your band.

12. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    :eek: WoW thanks for pointing that out page.

Woodchuck,
    WOW just checked out your bands video Suburb Thuggin' at the website. Now that was cool I really liked it.

13. Wait, was that sarcastic or serious...........

14. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    :eyebrow: umm.....I was serious thanks......I check his stuff out after you saw him on the dean website.

15. Hahaha ok , sorry ........i just .......i dunno im dumb sorry! :D

Yeah El Pus is killer.

16. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I wish I was endorsed, especially with amps and by musicman (New basses soon :p). Only problem is I couldn't decide what amp company i'd like (Not that i'd really get to choose I suppose). :(