1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Endpin options for second EUB build??

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Nate74, Jan 1, 2012.

1. My first EUB build was based loosely on Bob B's EUB build and mounts on cymbal stand via a tom-tom mount screwed into the back. For my next build I want to do something with an endpin and upper bout extension arm.

I'm early on in the design stages and am realizing if I want the endpin to store inside the instrument, I need to figure out what sort of collar arrangement I want to use before going much further on the body design. I'm also realizing that a standard length endpin isn't going to be long enough because of the shortened body design I'm wanting to use.

With my current EUB on the stand and at a comfortable playing angle, the nut is about 73" (straight line down the body) from the ground. My new EUB design is coming at just over 50" from the nut to the bottom of the body meaning I need 23" of endpin length. (I'm 6'4" tall which isn't helping matters on my design either... )

On Bob G's site, he carries an "extra long" endpin that can go 16" long, and I'm seeing some that claim 18" long.

-So I'm now to the point where I'm wondering if you can buy just the collar and tension bolt and then I could go buy an aluminum rod the right diameter and cut it to length?

-Would a standard DB collar handle the torque a 25" endpin might place on it while in use?

-Are there other hardware options that might work better for this?

-What about cello endpins which seem to come in longer lengths? Would they be strong enough?

I tried the search and it seems this question has come up a few times with not a whole lot of resolution being found....

Thanks in advance.

2. powerbass

powerbass Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
  3. Ross Kratter

Ross Kratter Gold Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2010
    New York, NY
    Artist, RS Berkeley, La Bella Strings and Phil Jones Bass Amplification
    In my experience the cello endpins that I've seen have been significantly thinner in diameter, and generally have a spike at the end rather than a rubber tip. I have a feeling that at the height you'll need on bass, the cello endpin might bend, plus the spike will slide around. Cello players usually use rock stops to prevent this but I've never really seen a bass player use one. I'm not entirely sure but that's my best guess.

4. Powerbass - that's a cool design, having the "T" on the end of the endpin. I found them on a different site (Eminence Bass Replacement Parts) but can't tell if you're just getting the collar or some form of mount as well.

Rosskratter - that's valuable input. It does indeed look like they are a much smaller diameter. There's going to be a fair amount of force on this thing so I don't think a cello endpin is viable.

I'm now thinking some sort of metal collar design that lets me adjust the tension thru the body would work. If the collar is snug in the body, with a set screw going thru the body it can tighten the rod in place as needed. Something like this:

endpincollaridea-1.

But being a woodworker, not a metal worker, I have no idea what might be similar that is readily available... or do I venture to the closes machine shop with my checkbook in hand?

5. powerbass

powerbass Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    The reason I mentioned the Eminence endpin is because of the T shape - seems to me without it the bass would tend to pivot around while playing since you can't lean against it like a DB. You could fabricate a wooden tensioning mechanism with nice plywood, T-nuts and metal inserts

6. Good point. I do plan on doing some sort of upper bout extension so the bass will be anchored not only at the endpin but also on my hip. But the Eminence endpin really seems to have a lot of appeal.

It looks like my insert idea isn't that far from a standard DB endpin collar. If I can find anywhere than just sells the collar, without the endpin itself, I'll pick one up. It looks like they're mostly ebony with just one metal collar with the tension screw...

A1259E2.

7. I spent some time with McMaster-Carr and came across these collars. 5/8" inner diameter to match the aluminum endpin and 1 1/8" outer diameter.

collar_mc.

The question then is, how do you affix this to the body? And, can it handle the torsional stresses it will see with a 20" endpin sticking out of it?

This is my idea now:

endpincollaridea.

I'd drill a 1 1/8" diameter hole, 2 inches deep into the body. Beyond the first 2 inches, the hole would be 5/8". I slide the metal collar in and line up the tension screw. Maybe a little epoxy to hold it in place. I'd take a 1.5" long 1 1/8" diameter dowel and drill a 5/8" hole down the center of it and then put it into the body. This could be glued in place and would serve not only to hold the metal collar in place but would also offer some lateral support for the rod.

The down side is that if the collar ever gets stripped, getting it out will be murder AND getting all the components to line up with enough clearance that the 5/8" endpin rod can freely slide might be a challenge....

The other approach would be to construct it much more like a standard DB endpin and use a collar with a 1" inner diameter. Then take a 1" diameter dowel, put a 5/8" hole down the center and have the tension screw go through the collar AND dowel to contact the 5/8" endpin. I dab of epoxy could hold the collar in place, along with the tension screw. This way, if the collar is ever damaged, it's easy to get to. This may be the way I'm leaning now.

endpincollaridea2-1.

8. Matthijs

Matthijs

Jul 3, 2006
    Amsterdam
    Why do you want a construction that is so close to a heigth adjustable, end pin for DB? I'm asuming your fitting this to your own heigth?

With a endpin this long and with one fixed length I'd maybe look into a construction with a threaded insert in the body and a wooden endpin/rod with a threaded rod at one end that fits into the treaded insert.

9. An interesting thought going with a fixed height arrangment and one I hadn't really considered. I guess I was just attempting to offer the adjustability on principal, even though I'd set it to the same height every time ;).

I've actually found some pretty interesting components that may make the adjustability a pretty simple matter. I tried drilling a 5/8" hole through the center of a 1" diameter dowl, and even just going 3", the hole wasn't very well centered. A plumber buddy of mine suggested that instead of using a wooden dowel that I just find a steel tube with the correct ID and OD, which he happened to have in his work truck. I found a set screw collar that has the same ID as the steel tube's OD and they fit together very well. I'll drill a hole in the inner steel tube so the set screw can go through it and should be pretty well set. It will function the same way as my wooden dowel design but will be quite a bit more durable and of course easier to make. I may take the collar and the tube over to a local weld shop and have them spot weld the two components together.

endpinhardware.

10. Matthijs

Matthijs

Jul 3, 2006
    Amsterdam
    At least you'll have the option of wearing platform shoes whenever you want to.

11. What's the screw called, and where'd you get it? I've just started building my EUB and I'm in the stages of building the endpin. Basically I'm using your idea (hope that's alright) and I have everything except the collar/screw.
    Thanks for your help
    Joe

12. You asked about T-Bar end pins?

Well, I just recently build a TPUG (Travel Practice Upright Guitarrón) and, after trying various endpins, I opted for a T-Bar endpin that resists skidding, walking away, and twisting—especially since I play sitting and can rest a foot (or both feet) on the T-Bar. Very solid when I do that. I also added a rotatable cross piece that sits on my thighs. The cross piece bears the weight of the instrument and the endpin (with my foot or feet on it) keeps it balanced upright in position. My left hand does not hold the instrument up at all, and I am free to simply press down on the strings without having to squeeze with my left thumb.

Also, I soon will add a pickup and begin referring to my TPUG as an EUG, instead.

13. buddyro57

buddyro57 me and PJ (living with the angels now)

Apr 14, 2006
    Cedar Falls Iowa
    Jack, where did you get it? Did it come from the Eminence replacement parts link earlier in this thread?
    Thanks
    JS

14. 'Fraid you're not going to like this answer, Buddy: I made it myself out of 1-1/2" ABS pipe and fittings from the hardware store. It wouldn't have to be that big, of course—you could use much smaller-diameter ABS or PVC pipe—or you could make a beautiful one out of wood, if you want. I needed only one that functioned, it didn't have to look or sound beautiful because the instrument I made it for is only a practice bass.

Attached Files: