Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Endpin pulling forward

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Chasarms, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I had an endpin installed several months ago. I was playing for a Christmas thing Friday night and notice when looking at the bass with it on its side that the endpin is angled forward due to the stress of the tail gut.

Is this an issue I should be concerned with? How great of an angle is acceptable. It seems that if it went too far, it would create undue stress on the pin and create a self-perpetuating problem.

2. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    One of our local symphony players had an old bass with the same problem. He ended up purchasing a new (better) endpin with a larger plug (or whatever it's called), getting the hole reamed to fit the endpin, and the rest you can probably figure out.

3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I'm guessing that the sleeve is too loose in the endblock. I'd take it back to the luthier and ask him to look at it to determine the cause.

There is also the possibility that the endblock is somehow damaged or isn't quite deep enough to provide a properly secure mount for the endpin sleeve... assuming the endpin sleeve itself isn't damaged or short.

Bottom line, the problem brings more questions than answers, and I'd have the instability checked out rather than find out the answer in a surprising and unpleasant manner. ;)

4. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    This is a potentially dangerous situation. When the assembly fits poorly it touches only at the top and bottom of the block [opposite sides] This gives it inordinate leverage. A blow to the pin or assembly could split the block--big bucks.

5. So how would the problem of the endblock not being deep enough be solved?
    Mike

6. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
  7. I guess my question is would it involve removing the top to add this wood?

8. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    I can't think of any other way to get it in there.

However, the whole question is kinda moot -- as mentioned, there are a host of other potential causes. Any reason why you can't just take it back to the luthier who installed the endpin?? It may be his problem to solve.

9. My bass is in David Gage right now getting this problem fixed along with a new bridge. I'm just asking because the end block on my Strunal seems like it may not be deep enough. I am going on my 2nd day without my bass (should get it back later) and need something to do, so I'll be posting alot this morning.:D

I am also asking to get an idea of what may need to be done to my bass.