Endpin question

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by ArenW, Apr 9, 2004.

1. ArenW

Jan 14, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    I have the stock replacement endpin for a Kay/Englehardt and it is really cheap, so, being a machinist by trade, I made myself a couple different pins as replacements (one of stainless steel and the other of titanium). The rubber foot however has long since been punctured by the pin. Should the point be covered or exposed, so as to dig in to the floor?
    I am mostly playing in nasty bars so I'm not to worried about what effects an exposed point will have on these beer soaked, God knows what the hell that is on the carpet, stages anyways.
  2. It depends on the surface. Sometimes the floor itself, especially a wood floor, can act as a natural amplifier, and its best to have your endpin "plugged into" it. I read an anecdote here recently about how jazz bassist Michael Moore removed his endpin stopper at a certain recording studio and increased his tone (too lazy to dig up the thread).

I have wood floors at home, but obviously, I don't practice this theory there, as the divorce would cost more than any tonal benefits I might reap.

Found the quote. It was actually in a David Gage column in Bass Player:

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Since you are a machinist, you might want to consider a custom endpin. You could make one (or modify one of your existing creations) that fits the best of both worlds.

The neat thing about the nicer endpins is that the ends are threaded and the rubber tips have a threaded steel lining. They stay on and don't wear through nearly as fast.

However, they are usually 10mm pins. With your skill, you could turn down the end of the pin so the last inch or two was 10mm and then thread it to fit the standard available lined and threaded tips.

Then grind the tip to a point so you can post it in the floor if you like.

BTW, if you can make them cheap enough, you could probably make a few bucks off them. There are tons of Kay/Engelhardts out there with the original pins in them. I think the idea of having a quality threaded rubber tip without having to replace the factory plug might be attractive to many.
  4. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    would it be possible to lay down a heavy/dense board on the floor just a protector? Yes you would get less energy transferred from the bass, but it's better than nothing and you won't damage your floors. Maybe a hunk of metal?
  5. ArenW

Jan 14, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA

I have definitely given it some thought. I have tried several designs and am still playing around with it. I might be able to make more from that than I do playing. Thanks for the input.