Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

endpin shaft size

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by spots, Feb 22, 2004.

1. spots

spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    I wasn't sure where to post this thread but i figured this is the best place...
    I'll be starting lessons in a week or so and i need a bass wheel to carry the bass to and from the lessons. I don't want to buy the wheel from a nearby store because it would cost me a cool $125 :spit: . Instead i want to buy the wheel of of ebay or perhaps from upton bass. Problem is, i can't get the measurement of the diameter of my endpin down. I know its either 10 mm or 3/8 in. but these measurements are so close its hard to tell. The bass is a rental so i'm leaning toward 10mm just because it is the most popular sized endpin. Does anyone have any suggestions of ways to measure the diameter accurately? Should i measure the pin or the hole/slot in the bottom which the endpin goes in? :confused:
    Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. Josh McNutt

Josh McNutt Guest

Mar 10, 2003
    Denton, Texas (UNT)
    I don't think it's going to matter. Here, check this out; Lemur sells one that lists both sizes for the same wheel.

3. spots

spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
  4. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    If you get the 3/8" size it should work in a 10 mm. 3/8= .375 inch and 10 mm = .40 inch the end pin set screw on a 3/8" end pin should be able to clamp down tight.

Why get an bass wheel go down the the hardware store and get a "dolley". I got one at Harbor Fright for $19 and use that. I think it has less stress on the end block.

Joe

5. I think the wheel vs cart issue should be adressed. It is important to note the added weight of the cart, vs the single wheel on the endpin block. This will make a small difference in the 3rd anual Bass Race coming up soon, but then again, no one stands a chance anyway when they are racing that guy with the supercharged carbon fiber db, with the cool flame job from king basses. :D :eek:

6. spots

spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    i was considering making my own wheel from stuff down at the hardware store but i couldn't find the right wheel or correct diameter piping. has anyone ever built a bass wheel before? Any tips? My dilemma is that the wheel i get for my current bass (a rental) might not be compatible with the bass that i will borrow from school over the summer and i will be needing to huff my bass to and from lessons every week...

7. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    Yes, I have looked at making my own wheel after I priced the Pneumatic wheel I found it would be cheaper to buy a wheel already setup. It not just the wheel it getting the holder for the wheel and getting the shaft attached to the holder. You definatly want a pneumatic wheel for the shock asorber effect. The Bass does not weigh much so you don't need to make the wheel holder out of 1/4 inch cold rolled steel but it has to be strong enough to hold up with out bending.

The above is why I got a hand cart/ dolly and put pipe insulation on it for padding, yes I did use duct tape to hold it in place. The whole setup was less than the price of the wheel alone.

take a look at this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=32410

Joe

8. Hi

After looking at wheel prices I went to the scrap yard and picked up some aluminum diamond plate (much lighter than steel) for a few bucks. Found a nice neumatic tire at Granger; used a double nuted bolt as an axel; found a piece of aluminum tubing at work that fit my end pin. I cut all the pieces and had a friend weld them together. I think I have about $25 into it.

9. I adapted a golf cart I found at a garage sale for 50 cents, added foam on the arms and a couple bungie cords.
    This thing is amazingly stable, and holds the bass upright when I'm not holding on.