Endpin upgrade?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by BassGreaser, May 5, 2004.

1. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    This might sound like a silly question, but if one doesn't use their endpin to rise the bass any, is it still a good idea to upgrade to a better endpin? I'm 5'6, and I like where my nut is when I play, but the endpin is pretty crappy. It has a plastic caller with a hollow metal shaft, and it rattles alittle. Would a better endpin help the tone of the bass any? I know a better endpin with a cork lining will stop the rattle. What should I do :meh:
  2. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    It will definitely make some difference and besides, you never know when you might need to change the height of the bass. What someone else needs to play your bass at a jam session for example? A good endpin with a tip that comes off will also give you a couple of options (i.e. a pointed tip for sticking into old wooden floors, rubber tip for slippery surfaces, etc.). However there are also plenty of other things to spend your money on too.

I just got a new bass and I'm changing the bridge, the nut, the strings, the tailpiece, tailpiece cable, and the endpin.
  3. tww001

Aug 13, 2003
    Telford, PA
    anyone know where I can buy just the rubber screw cap for my end pin?
  4. Lemur Music has some and KC Strings makes a nice one.
  5. Nick Ara

Nick Ara

Jul 22, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Not a silly question at all! I'm 5'4" and my 3/4 basses have their endpins retracted most of the time. I cut the lengths down about 4 or 5 inches to reduce the vibrating length and save a couple of ounces of dead weight, though.

If I didn't occassionaly sit when playing, I might have cut them down further still. I find that with most bar stools, I need to extend the pin 2 or 3 inches to bring the bass height more in line with where it would be if I were playing standing.

Funny, but I always take my bass to jam sessions, even though there's always one on stage for me to use. A house bassist once got pretty ticked off when I asked if I could lower his endpin. I think he probably stood about 6'5" and I sure wasn't going to argue with him!! :eek: