Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ENDURANCE

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Classical_Thump, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Classical_Thump

Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    I just got some sheet music for a jaco tune for my jazz big band, and I have been progressing well with it. The only problem I have is maintaining stamina with all the eighths and sixteenths throughout the solo sections. Does anyone have any tips/drills/excercises to increase endurance and stamina. Basically anything that will increase the amount of time I can play fast will be of use. I'm sure all you guys that have covered Jaco know what I mean-any help is much welcomed. thanks

2. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    What I found is good is just playing a walking bass line very fast... For an extended period of time, 5-7 minutes.. My fingers aache after I do that.

3. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    It's true that if you're having trouble playing 16th note passages for long periods of time, you should practice by... playing those note-packed pieces for long periods of time on your own! I can't recommend any shortcut personally. You mentioned Jaco - I like 'Kuru' as far as endurance riffing goes.

4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Stamina just takes time and practice. It's been my experience that when reading, especially site reading, I tire more quickly. This is because the message is recieved by your hands and fingers later, so they have to hurry, and are out of position and less relaxed. Provided that you are playing a written "solo",
    you will find it easier once you memorize it..(my personal Teen Town theory)

5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    If you're running out of gas playing, you're probably playing to hard. Relax, and you'll be able to play much longer.

6. Classical_Thump

Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    I didn't mean playing a written bass solo, I meant what Jaco is doing behind every one else's solo. Everyone in my band solos and thats probably 15 guys so it's tough to keep it up for 5-10 minutes. IU have just been working it with a metronome and trying to staye relaxed

7. Dynna

Dynna

Oct 23, 2004
    Play lighter.