1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

English Muff'n question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by propel, Apr 8, 2009.

1. propel

propel

May 10, 2007
    Montreal
    I hope I don't get in trouble for this, I considered posting this in miscellaneous but it did say "not specific to the bass or any other forum" so I'll try my luck here

I'm thinking of buying an English Muff'n to use as a distortion pedal for an organ (got a Wolfmother set up going on :bassist: )

Now, the reason i'm posting this on a bass forum is that my question is basically this: Is this pedal supposed to emulate Marshall amps? I remember stumbling on that here but I'd like to be sure before I buy one, I know the Muff'n is used a lot by people in the forums. I'm aiming for that Deep Purple sound and I know John Lord would pass his hammond through Marshall Guitar amps

I will, of course, try it on bass as well :) , but I'm quite content for the moment OD-wise with my VT bass :hyper:

Thanks,

David

2. You are correct, the English Muff'n is, essentially, a Marshall pre-amp stage. it's less and emulator and more a, er, thing-that-makes-your-sound-more-Marshall-y.

Best results are had when you use it with a tube amp, but it works nicely on SS as well, too.

3. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    I brought my gear into the studio with some friends who were recording an album a few weeks ago, and set up the bassist with all of his tones for the album. The guitarist ended up using the Muffn as well, running it into a cranked Marshall. I got to hear both of them side by side briefly and the Muffn was indeed hanging out in the same neighborhood as the Marshall- I only got to hear them separate briefly, but the Marshall seemed to have a little more note definition when cranked, but the tone was very similar. Running the Muffn into the Marshall sounded killer as well, despite being a bit noisy when cranked (they were more stoked on the how good the Muffn sounded, then worried about noise).

4. Ibanezzer

Ibanezzer

Aug 12, 2004
    Dayton, Ohio
    I've got an English Muff'n mainly for my bass and have on occasion run my keyboard (a decent Yamaha synth) through it and it gives a sweet tube coloring (and overdrive if I have the gain turned up on the pedal) to regular plain piano voices.

5. propel

propel

May 10, 2007
    Montreal
    Thanks for the answers :D

I don't think i'd be running it into a bass or guitar amp after the muff'n though, i'd just send it to my mixer and out to a PA speaker i'm going to get this summer, so it will be responsible for all distortion goodness

6. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    Hmm....

I'd like to make a tricked out Big Muff clone and call it the Engrish Big Muff'n. :D

7. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    be sure to include a couple tubes!

8. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    They've been on my mind lately, since your mystery "overdrive" thread. An actual fuzz pedal (not an overdrive) with tubes? I'd love to do something like that.

9. english MUFF'n ;<

it's not really based on a marshall at all, its just 4 generic gain stages cascading into each other with a 3 band tone stack stuck on the end

10. shinobi

shinobi

Nov 24, 2007
    Aichi, Japan
    marshall? box of rock. or more recently, the distortron

11. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    as usual, I'll be curious to hear the results

12. propel

propel

May 10, 2007
    Montreal
    I know it's been a while since I started this thread but I ordered the english muff'n today and it should be at the music store on thursday :D

Really looking forward to laying down some deep purple riffs on my keyboard, impressions to come!

13. Ibanezzer

Ibanezzer

Aug 12, 2004
    Dayton, Ohio
    Sweet man, I'm still digging mine. I'm using it as a pre-amp for my rig - i've got it set to give a nice mildly tube overdriven sound. I'm actually taking the signal from the English muff'n straight into a power amp without any other head or pre in the mix and it's working out well for that.

14. propel

propel

May 10, 2007
    Montreal
    Well I bought the Muff'n today and I gotta say it's not as big as I thought it would be which I was quite happy about since it would fit on top of my organ.

Sadly though, the sound I'm getting when sending my organ through it isn't at all what I'm looking for. I didn't get the chance to try it on my bass today so I'm going to give that a go tomorrow. I gotta say though, unless I'm really impressed, I'm going to return it for another VT bass :D (I LOVE that thing)

15. propel

propel

May 10, 2007
    Montreal
    So I tried the Muff'n on my bass and it's not what as was looking for. I mean, I found a lot of very usable tones (some vintage Grand Funk Railroad style fuzzy goodness), but I'm after a more gritty, overdriven sound where I get more of a distortion/fuzzy distortion out of the English Muff'n.

So yeah, I'm bringing it back to the store tomorow and getting another VT Bass :), my search for organ distortion continues though