Enlarging Tuner Holes... Just a bit

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by backer7618, Jul 28, 2018.

1. backer7618

backer7618

Jul 28, 2018
    Putting together a Warmoth Deluxe 5
    They only drill for Scahller BML (17mm)
    I have Hipshot Ultralite 1/2 tuners; fit 17.4625 mm

To me, it seems to be such a small difference that wrapping sandpaper around a thick marker or ratchet sockets to enlarge the holes shouldn't be an issue.
    I don't think that I'd significantly throw them off center. I'd widen them just enough to fit the bushings in snug.
    Am I wrong here? Is this a larger deal than I seem to believe? Thanks for your input.

2. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    There’s a whole thread going on that elsewhere on Luthiers corner. The sandpaper around a dowel or socket should work fine, just be careful and keep checking the fit. If you have a circle template, draw the closest larger size circle around the holes, it’s easy to see if you are sanding the hole evenly with the drawn circle around it.
    Boring out holes for larger tuning heads

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021