enough power?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brahim, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Brahim

Apr 9, 2004
    I want to buy an amp that is loud enough so that i can be heard while playing next to a drumset and a guitar. Would a 10 watt ibanez amp or a 21 watt ibanez do?

yea right!

look, to compete with with a drummer and a guitarest you need atleast 100watts if the drummer is loud about 300watts and 4:1 ratio to your guitarest watts.

what amp does you guitarest have and how much watts is? is it tube or solid state? it will you be going through the pa system?
  3. You need the Ampeg B-2 combo I'm selling. :D
  4. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Yes...if you strapped it to your head. Or if the drums are electronic and unamplified.

You need an absolute minimum of a 12" speaker and 100w providing you play at relatively quiet volumes.

5. I used to play through a Crate that was 15 watts and I couldn't hear **** over the drums and the loud guitarist. I suggest if you are just starting out just buy one of those kick back combos that many companies make. Hartke sells very inexpensive products but I don't know about their reliability. My Hartke head got messed up about a month ago. But anyways 300 watts should do it but if you want an amp that you can rely on for the long haul then I'd sugest a head/cab combination. It will serve you better!
  6. I'd highly recommend as much as you can afford. I had a Peavey TNT 100 (i thinkt aht's the model), with a 15 inch speaker, 100 watts, there was absolutely NO WAY it could cut it. If there's a very nice PA you could pull it off with that Peavey I had, assuming you went direct and they had a great subwoofer system. You'll probably need a minimum of 300 watts. And remember that a great cab and speakers will greatly affect your sound and volume.
  7. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yeah.... you'll have trouble hearing 10Watts over a kitten purr. You'll definately want at least 100Watts... but it depends on what kinda amp your guitar player is using.

I tried to play with a 20Watt Combo, and I was drowned out by a 10Watt Guitar amp. And drums???.... FUHGETABOUTIT! :oops:
  8. if all you can afford is a 10 watt amp you might as well just sing the bass lines in your band
  9. Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Mmhmm, when I first started playing I tried to play with a drummer and guitarist through my peavey microbass... 20 watts I think. I had the volume on 10 and all the EQs all the way up, playing with a pick, and I couldnt even almost hear it.

However, the fact that I did that two hours a day twice a week for a month and it still sounds perfect says something about the amp...
  10. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    No doubt about it.... I'm sure you'll have no problem finding a high-quality little lunchbox amp. But... oy... you might as well just save for a practice-sized combo.
  11. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    When I started out, I had to run the Crate BX100 I was using (100 watts, 15" speaker) full on, and even then, all I could hear was harshly clipped low end, and the guys I was playing with aren't the loudest bunch ever.
  12. Brahim

Apr 9, 2004
    Sorry i think i made a huge mistake i didnt mean 20 watts
  13. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    It's alright. How much do you have to spend bud?
  14. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    who's playing drums and who's playing guitar?

There's a couple of guy's I know that you would need at least a thousand watts to keep up with.
  15. Actually I run two 118s side by side or stacked at 160 watts and it's so super loud, it's bigger and louder than anything our local punk/metal scene ever uses at their shows, and no bassists run through PA. But maybe my head is running at 2ohms? The head is rated for 8 and 4, but the cabinets arent marked. Meh. As long as I can come close to drowning out the drums next the amp I'm happy;)
  16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Start at 300 and go up. That used to be my recommended minimum. Now it's 600, and sometimes that ain't enough.