Entry Level Bass Help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JamieIsOnline, Nov 1, 2011.

1. I am looking for an entry level bass in the £0-£200/$ range I play rock music mainly im looking for something with a chunky pickup something like a musicman stingray if possible

I was wondering if anyone could make any recommendations

thanks

- Jamie :)

2. Ibanez Bassist

Ibanez Bassist

Jan 30, 2010
    US of A
    Your best bet for getting quality for cheap money might be a used bass from a local music store, Craigs List or ebay .. If your not into the used thing then personally I started out with the Ibanez and Squire Line and that worked well for me.. playing Classic Rock and Rock..

3. whisper14072

whisper14072

May 16, 2008
    Grand Island
    I started off on a Yamaha RBX170... it has a PJ pick up... but it is pretty good... I know not Musicman style... but good just the same. Check ebay for a brand called OLP, they don't make them any more so used is all you can find now.. but they are EBMM copies and they are really good!!

4. KCLRbass

KCLRbass

Sep 5, 2011
    Toronto
    Agree with all of the above. I have a Squier Precision special that I use *almost* as much as my hand-crafted axes. Great sound, great feel. I bought it used for about $250 Canadian, but would definitely buy one new. Check it out if you're interested:

Heart Shaped Box (Nirvana funky house cover) by KC Roberts and the Live Revolution - YouTube

5. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    I'm guessing you're from the UK, based onthe use of £ - in which case, take the advice above but replace Craigs List with Gumtree. I got my first bass, a Yamaha, for £50 (just sold it for £80).

You won't get a particularly good Stingray copy in that price range but I've seen MM Subs go for as little as £350 second hand. These are proper US-made Musicman basses but without the body contours or fancy paint finishes of the Stingray - now discontinued, as the cost of manufacturing was too high to make a profit.

One option if you want to buy new is the Squier Jaguar HB -a single bridge humbucker like a Stingray, but for £200 brand new.

0328700506_frt_wmd_001.jpg

6. 1st choice: Squier J or P-bass. 2nd choice: Epiphone Thunderbird. Decent quality at a low price. Good entry level instrument but also good enough to play at any gig.

7. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    This.

Squier has gotten pretty good lately for quality, but I'd still "try before you buy" if possible.

Edit:

Oh and since it's so cheap (relatively speaking) modding it won't affect the price much.

8. Ive just seen a Tanglewood Canyon with hard case for £185 is that any good ?

9. davidjackson

davidjackson

Sep 10, 2011
    UK
    I know this is repeating some of what others have said but my advice would be to go for a Squier P or J bass (or a Jaguar if that floats your boat and you can find one). If you don't fancy those you can't go wrong with a Yamaha. I play a BB bass and for me it beats the Mexican or even the USA Fender instruments but the RBX is a good entry level range. Fantastic build quality on all of the Yamaha range.

I'd also say don't get too hung up on the "chunky" pick-up thing. A decent P bass sound will give you a flexible and powerful rock sound. If I was playing rock now I would go for something with a P bass thump.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021