1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Envelope Filter for Low Tunings

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by GeneralElectric, Apr 11, 2021.

1. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Hi all,

Playing in a Neo-Soul band where I play a 4 string P-bass tuned down to C standard through a Radial Bassbone OD.

Looking for an envelope filter that can handle all those low notes for some nice tasteful Q. I'm a "big notes" kinda guy who really doesn't do the fast finger funk thing (yet)

Lets hear some recommendations!

2. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Wouldn't any half decent one be able to handle a low C?
    I seem to remember that my disumbobulator v.1 handles the whole range (all 29 frets) of my 5 string bass well.
    Will double check however.:)

MattZilla and Bo0tsy like this.
  3. LowRenzo

LowRenzo

Jul 3, 2014
    The Hague
    I use an MXR Envelope Filter and have been using it for years. I play 5-string basses tuned to either B standard, Bb standard or sometimes down to drop A. The MXR tracks everything perfectly and is a very tweakable little pedal.

There are cheaper options to be had, but I've not once regretted buying it and it's definitely one of my mainstays.

Element Zero and GeneralElectric like this.
  4. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    No idea! Even in NYC local pickings for envelope filters to try are kinda nonexistent

5. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I have a lot of MXR gear already. Wouldn’t mind another piece of kit if I grab one used.

LowRenzo likes this.
  6. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    Any LP-based envelope filter with a frequency knob will get you as low as you need, in my experience.

7. jam.majors

jam.majors

Mar 24, 2009
    Louisville, Ky
    Another vote for MXR over here. I've enjoyed mine.

Full disclosure, it got pushed off by the Source Audio C4 Synth, but that pedal's a different animal.

LowRenzo likes this.
  8. AlvarHanso

AlvarHanso

Jun 20, 2011
    The Source Audio C4 or Spectrum will do just fine. It tracks my 5 down to low B no problems. The Spectrum is an actual envelope filter, the C4 is its bigger brother that adds synth to the equation. But pretty much the same, and all Spectrum presets work on the C4, but not the other way around.

4Mal and Killing Floor like this.
  9. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    My Mooer bassballs clone handles low B fine. Although i’ve not tried it in a band setting in that tuning.

10. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    C standard player here.
    This has been mt regular tuning for almost 15 years.
    Played everything from hip hop, funk, top amd straight ahead jazz in that tuning.

And yes, the mxr is by far one of the best ones for going that low.
    Many filters get really muddy lower than open E

My 2 cents.

GeneralElectric likes this.
  11. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    Mojo Hand 442? my favorite so far and Ive had a few... the old Ibanez Bass synth was fine...it's getting crackly these days. I though the EH Bassmicrosynth was the answer because you had a Very slow filter opening on any frequency direction, but it can't handle below E!

12. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    That's good to know. The EHX Bass microsynth was one of my favorite pedals back in the day and I've been pondering getting another one!

13. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I've done all sorts of differing tunings over the years. Each band that I'm in plays in a different tuning, so sometimes there is some mental math on figuring out where my fingers go! I tuned down to C to learn some doom/stoner type stuff but got the opportunity to do the R&B gig. First tune I learned was Speechless by Beyonce and the first note is C. Figured I might as well keep it going!

Do you use regular strings, or do you get a BEAD set?

Looking at the MXR one now. Its funny because so much of my board is MXR/Way Huge/Dunlop because everything so far has been easy to use and very reliable, yet I never think about them when pedal shopping. Guess they're not sexy and boutique!

LowRenzo likes this.
  14. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Added hip hop bonus.
    You can get a thick dub hip hop tone with the mxr. (A la bill laswell, he uses an old dod fx25)

Every knob completely to the left and fx knob on full to the right.
    (Mix in some dry to add some attack)
    Room shaking awesomeness.

Edit : strings.
    I've been using daddario 40-125 sets for 15 years. I dont use the high G.
    Ultra light 5 string set (the green one)
    So gauges are 60 -75- 95 and 125.
    Perfect for C standard.
    For me, rounds.....the deader the better.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    getbent likes this.
  15. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    C4 is pretty Boss-A-Nova but there is an investment in learning. It includes the Spectrum so if you just want envelope or you want the full C4 the envelope capabilities are identical.

Also the Seamoon is designed by a bassist. It goes deep really well. I’d recommend that too. I also have a Josh Wah which also plays well with bass.

16. MXR Bass Envelop filter for bass. MXR's are like Toyotas. They just work even they do not have a crazy feature set or a lot of knobs. I love my source Audio Ventris but if you just want a reliable reverb operation, my MXR reverb pedal just works.. The same with the compressor and the carbon copy delay and the phaser. Back to your question, I also tried EHX and Pigtronix pedals, Mutron clones and the C4. For me all waste of money.

Regarding Source Audio, they really are not plug and play. The Ventris has got me into trouble at a gig, because of 4 more knobs and switches. and you can ruin your setting if you look at it the wrong way. You need the app so you can switch it around from being in the effects loop to the front. I borrowed a C4 and it was easier to route my bass into a full analog synth like KORG MS-20 granted I know that synth like the back of my hand and I found the sound harsh.

17. jobu3

jobu3 ¿Huevos?! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    MXR but anything good should work in theory

18. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Yeah, I was just gonna mention the Seamoon Funk Machine. I have one and it works nicely with my fiver. A long time ago I had one of the originals, and Neil Jason's remake of it is way better, much more controllable.

Killing Floor likes this.
  19. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I got mine pretty recently. Love it so far. I play guitar also so I’m ++ for any pedal that has range for bass and guitar.

Ewo likes this.
  20. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    The c4 and Spectrum handle the low B on my P5 just fine. Can't decide which I like more. The Spectrum gets overshadowed as it is merely and envelope, octave and dirt device while the C4 is a synth with oscillators ... and yes, the C4 can run all the Spectrum patches ... yet there is something about the relative simplicity of the Spectrum that seems to work for me.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 13, 2021