1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Envelope Filter: what else?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tekken, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Tekken

Tekken

Oct 11, 2008
    Turin - Italy
    Hi guys,
    in my desperate ultimate envelope filter quest (looking for one that doesn't strat to dirstorce/clip too soon, that opens/closes well with all basses, whose controls make me able to obtain "useable" sounds etc.), I haven't yet get the solution.

I think that it's partially due to the the vey hot (even if very good) output signal of my basses (Yamaha BB NE2 & MusicMan Sterling HH)...

I've tested good till now (without reaching good results :crying: )

- Digitech X Series Bass Synth/Wah
    - MXR M-188 Bass Auto Q
    - EHX Q-Tron (old model)
    - EHX Q-Tron+ (old model)
    - EHX Q-Tron+ XO (new model)
    - EHX BassBalls (USA model)
    - EHX Nano BassBalls
    - Maxon AF-9
    - Chunk Systems Agent 00Funk Mark II
    - Mojo Hand Analogue Filter 442 Red Version (bass version)
    - Korg G5 filter section
    - Ibanez SB7

What else kind of filter do you think, except these models, should work great with my basses?

Thank you very much!

2. I'd recommend a micro Q-tron. I bought one and had the same exact problem. Then I gave the turn pot an adjustment and now it works really well.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    3Leaf Audio Groove Regulator. Has the most "useable" tones I've had no issues with high output basses.

4. pandathe3

pandathe3

Mar 3, 2009
    BOSS SYB-3. Not SYB-5

You'll have too look around for the SYB-3, its not in production anymore, but its better than the SYB-5.

If you wanted you could buy an 'Expressaion pedal' and plug it into the EXP jack on the pedal. This then allows for real-time synths. Like you would a Wah-Wah.

5. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    Along with the Groove Regulator, I'm looking at the Subdecay Prometheus and WMD Fatman for a filter. I have a MXR Bass Auto Q wah and it seems to do the job fine although it's not exactly an envelope filter. I'm not sure what exactly useable sounds means when it comes to filters. They're going to radically change your tone for the most part.

6. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Yep. Do it.

7. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Definitely try the Fatman before you buy or make sure you can return it if you don't like it (like I did). It sounds AMAZING when set to do low range upward sweeps in low pass mode, like really deep and subby jungle bass sounds, but I couldn't get much more out of it on bass (although it was great on regular guitar). Downwards sweep seemed not to work on bass, couldn't get the sensitivity set right to have any sweep going on at all. On upwards sweep it only operates over a narrow sweep range as selected by the control switch. This is great on guitar as you can reign the filter in so it doesn't have a wide and crazy sweep. But on bass it only works well set low, resulting in dubby jungle bass tone. Turn the range up and the low end disappears, even in lowpass mode.

8. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    Interesting take on it. That may have put it out of the running for me.

9. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    you're joking right?

10. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Yeah, the Meatball and it's clones (Groove Regulator, Barge Grinder, Robot Factory Meatwad) are solid suggestions.

Of course, one of my basses is really hot and I've had no issues with it and the 00Funk, so I don't know.

The Moog Low Pass can take pretty much any signal you throw at it, though it wouldn't be my choice for a standalone filter.

The Pigtronix EP-1 is technically an envelope phaser, but it can also be tweaked for any signal and give you a fat, wet, organic sounding filter sound.