1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Epifani UL501 too much for UL310?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassistloaded21, Jan 1, 2012.

1. bassistloaded21

bassistloaded21 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ive been going back and forth btw the UL310 and UL410 w the UL501. I want the UL310, i like the small form factor and small weight, Ive had the Ul410 before and though its not big or heavy, its much bigger than the 310. Would the 310 be able to handle the power of the UL501? Ive read that the UL310 compresses and kinda dies a bit at high volumes.....Im playing medium sized rooms right now, and I usually have PA support, but sometimes i dont. I need a rig that i know can handle everything. Is the UL310 it?

2. figuredbass

figuredbass Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2007
    NYC vicinity
    At 5.3 ohms, the UL310 will draw about 700 watts from the UL501, so this should be a very good match. Just don't expect the 3x10 to be a 4x10 or anything bigger. I find my UL310 to be more than sufficient for larger gigs even without PA support, but of course only you can decide whether a 3x10 will be enough for you. I run mine with either a LMII (about 325 watts) or a QSC PLX1804 (about 735 watts). These are the actual RMS wattages into a 5.3 ohm load.

3. NickE

NickE Commercial User

Jan 4, 2012
    Owner, Epifani
    Thanks for the inquiry. If you overdrive woofers, they'll 'fart' and you'll hear it. Turn the volume or bass settings down. If you hear distortion from a product not designed particularly for generating nice harmonic break-up, turn down the volume. Most speakers are damaged from lower power amplifiers producing 'bad' distortion which eventually destroys voice coils. That's why lower power or lower-capable amps do more damage than high-power amps. You are safe with a powerful amp like the UL501 with any cabinet if you follow these rules. The UL310 - no problem.

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I would think that would be a very good match for the OP. The 310UL can take some power with no problem.

One comment.... lower powered amps DO NOT in any way harm voice coils of drivers. The 'underpowering' thing is a total myth regarding woofers.

I assume what you meant to say is a lower powered amp driven too hard CAN blow an unprotected tweeter, which is something to think about.

To the OP, that should be a very nice match-up, and as Nick suggests, you will hear farting (or with the high quality drivers of the 310UL, power compression... i.e., the low end compressing almost like a compressor turned up too high.... long before you would in any way cause any thermal damage to your speakers through overpowering).