Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epiphone EB-3 with a pick?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mofomage, Jun 18, 2005.

1. mofomage

mofomage

Jun 18, 2005
    MARS
    I was thinking of getting a used Epiphone EB-3 off the internet, but before i do i would like to know how they play with a pick? I can play with my fingers as well but my currentband does best with a picked bass, and all the reviews for this bass seem to center around fingers. So i was wondering if anyone here has one and if so how they play with a pick? :help:

2. BlacktotheBlind

BlacktotheBlind Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Indianapolis
    i had one, i sold it because the sound blew using a pick. there's very little low end. i just couldn't get the tone i wanted, but i am a metal bassist so it might be different for you.

3. mofomage

mofomage

Jun 18, 2005
    MARS
    ah thanks for the advice, i guess i wont be gettin one then. Do you have any suggestions for a bass with lots of thump and low end with a pick for under 400? My squier just aint cuttin it :bassist:

4. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    www.espguitars.com

Look at the ESP Standard Series.

EC, F, Viper, and B series are just different body shapes, some have slightly different parts or different model numbers amongst the different series.

The price you can get them for is around $100-$150 less than the list on the site.

5. mofomage

mofomage

Jun 18, 2005
    MARS
    eh they're a little pricy even at the store, plus they just don't seem to be built for anything but metal (and i like metal, but my current band is more blues rock and the ESP's just don't seem to match up)

6. mofomage

mofomage

Jun 18, 2005
    MARS
    Hey i'm thinkin about a Schecter Omen 4, i played one at a music store and it was pretty fun to play, but the only sound i could seem to get out of it was growls (which is good alot of the time but sometimes I want a more rounded thunk P-Bass tone). Anyone know how those are as far as a warmer sound?

7. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    You want a bass under $400 for blues/rock, why don´t you get a MIM Fender P-bass?

8. mofomage

mofomage

Jun 18, 2005
    MARS
    MIM?
    sorry i'm new hehe :bag:

9. JebusChrist

JebusChrist

May 23, 2005
    NYC
    "MIM" means Made or manufactured in Mexico
    i have two mim basses, and after a little setup, they play great

10. mofomage

mofomage

Jun 18, 2005
    MARS
    does the manufacturing being in Mexico really make a noticeable difference? I allways just thought a Fender was a Fender, no matter where its made.

11. JebusChrist

JebusChrist

May 23, 2005
    NYC
    depends really. fender has some issues with quality control, so in some cases a squier can be better than a mim fender, while a mij (japan) fender could be better than a usa fender. it's complicated, has to do with materials used, the workers, and their wages

12. mofomage

mofomage

Jun 18, 2005
    MARS
    hmm i'll look for one of these mexican fenders, it sounds good. I'm not sure if i'm quite ready to venture out of Passive territory into Active territory just yet, so a fender P-bass sounds like a wonderfull idea.

13. BlacktotheBlind

BlacktotheBlind Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Indianapolis
    my RockBass Vampyre actually carries some decent thump with a pick. i'm sure you can find some decently priced RockBasses out there. but they are active, good luck with your hunt.

14. mofomage

mofomage

Jun 18, 2005
    MARS
    thanks! I played around with a Stingray and i was impressed with its playability with a pick, so maybe an active bass won't be so bad :smug: thanks again for the tips everyone!